~Chapter 1~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! :) Thanks for taking the time to check out my story... still cannot believe I had the guts to actually post sth. LOL. This was not on my resolutions list for 2017, haha. But I read somewhere that if you have a story inside you that you want to read, then you have to be the one to write it. *philosophical me stops*. Omg, someone stop me, I don't want to be one of those authors writing huge ANs.

I'm just really excited about this! Sorry for any mistakes in writing!

Ok, I'll stop!

Enjoy!(hopefully)

fearsome-hamster

Warning: The story takes place in an alternative 1700s-1800s universe where supernatural creatures are hiding their existence from humans.

It started raining.

Of course it did. Just when she thought that the day couldn't be even more depressing, nature decided to prove otherwise by letting heavy water drops fall mercilessly upon the cold ground. In a way, she envied the way the sky liberated itself of its tears and let go of its burden so easily by raging upon the humans below through thunder and rain. If only she could one day do the same. Unchain herself from the misery of that incoherent house and leave without looking back.

But I could never leave Nana and Thomas behind...

As soon as the thought left her mind, guilt started eating at her. How could she be so selfish? How could she think even for a second of abandoning her beloved grandmother, the only support she had, and her sweet little brother who never failed to make her smile.

What a vicious circle her life had become. If only her mother had not passed into the afterlife so abruptly and left in her wake a grieving husband with no absolute idea how to care for his young.

She sighed and moved away from the window she had been staring through. There was no use dwelling over the past and all those "what if's" that sometimes plagued her thoughts. She needed to look forward and do the best she could to provide a shelter for Thomas. She would do anything in her powers to offer him at least an illusion of normality in their home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stepping into the parlour, she was greeted by the sight of her Nana, hunched over an armchair, sewing tirelessly at something. Ah, yet another of her brother's adventures gone awry for his clothes.

"The little munchkin just cannot help himself, can he?"

"Thomas takes after his sister after all," said Nana smiling indulgently at her. "I remember when you used to be just like that, Margo– running around creating mayhem in the manor and somehow succeeding to make everyone love you all the same."

Yes, of course she remembered her beloved childhood. The sweet innocence and careless memories of those years still brought a smile to her face. She used to be quite a troublesome child, defying her father's expectations of a proper lady even at that age. Not that I am any closer now to being the decent submissive daughter he wants me to be. She fought that train of thoughts down, knowing it would only end up in frustration and heartache.

"Where is Thomas now? I haven't seen him since breakfast when he promised that he would behave himself and not terrorize the hens anymore. He said they would make a bad army for his rising kingdom," chuckled Margo.

"Rising kingdom? That boy surely knows what he wants," laughed Nana at her grandson's antics. "Surprisingly, he is in his room studying the last book you gave him. I believe the chickens are eternally grateful for that."

Margo smiled, trying not to show her grandmother how guilty she felt. Guilt for not being able to provide Thomas with a solid education, like all children his age. Guilt for not offering him the toys he timidly asked for on such rare occasions. But, most aching of all, guilt for not being with him as much as he needed in these vital years of his life. However, she always tried to keep in mind that someone needed to provide in the house. That was why she was currently working both at the local library and tavern to keep up. The conflicting nature of her two jobs did not escape her notice. Destiny has its own twisted sense of humour.

"Would you like something from town, Nana? I'm leaving earlier, for Madame Percy had chores to attend to in the capital. It's only me and Benjamin working in the tavern tonight."

Upon hearing this, a teasing smirk graced Nana's features, making her look so much younger than her years – Margo could almost see hints of her mother in the gentle eyes that now sparkled with mischief.

"You and that handsome lad all alone?"

"Nana, please...The tavern will be full of drunken idiots who sputter non sensical gibberish while trying to grab your skirts when you serve them...A truly wonderful lovers' rendezvous indeed. And besides, Ben is only my friend," though she could not deny her companions dashing looks and neither could the rest of the town's female population. "I shall drop by the apothecary after my shift ends to buy more ointment for your joints."

Nana smiled and shook her head at her grand daughter's not-so-subtle change of topic . "Ah, Margo. If only I were your age..." 

By this point, the young girl rushed to kiss her grandmother's cheek, offering her goodbyes and quickly dashed though the parlour's door before hearing anymore of the wild tales overflowing Nana's past dramatic romances. Heaven only knew that she heard enough about her Nana's suitors to last her a lifetime.

Hastily putting on her grey rain cloak and donning on her reliable boots, Margo began her walk to town. Although it was a rather long journey to the tavern, the young girl appreciated this small piece of tranquility in her day.

With a horse, it would have been infinitely more liberating. Fireheart was such a good mare and it belonged only to her. If only father had not... She inwardly sighed- these kind of bloody thoughts never failed to creep up on her daily. Increasing her pace, Margo jogged to her destination, hoping to dispel the sudden blue mood that settled upon her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, she did arrive early. Just a little more out of breath an disheveled than she would have liked. Her already wayward dark mane had positively turned against her - her curls did not apparently enjoy her athletic endeavour, neither did Margo, for they seemed to be as if she had just got out of bed. I hope I have some time to fix this, Ben is never going to let me live this down...

"Oh my, Margo, if you wanted to see me so ardently, you could have only asked so. Running is not lady-like, dearest," said the green-eyed devil barely trying to cover his amusement. Nevertheless, those rosy cheeks certainly flattered her complexion, though Ben would not remark that out loud.

"Laugh all you all want, but do not flatter yourself, darling. I will not do the mistake of joining your ridiculous hordes of fans. I value my dignity, unlike them," added the still breathless Margo.

At that, the red head burst out laughing on his friends behalf. However much she wanted to appear insulted, Margo soon joined him chuckling. His laughter was too infectious to resist. Besides, they both needed this small reprieve – it was going to be full day for them.

Calming down, Margo asked her friend: "Has the sleaze ball arrived yet? I truly hope he does not grace us with his presence today."

As soon as those words left her mouth, any trace of amusement disappeared from Benjamin's face. "He has not, but we both know that he is a regular client this time of the week. I wish Madame Percy would let me wipe the floor with him at least once," mentioned the now frustrated young man, cracking his knuckles.

"Though that particular scenario is not one I would mind, I believe the floor should be sullied in such a manner," huffed a smirking Margo while pulling her companion's arm to start their assigned jobs in the tavern.