34

"The dark side is the easiest path to go down, but the light side is the most rewarding." -Natalia Schulter, Jedi Master

--

"What now?" Rex asked, Natalia shrugged and looked around at the dead droids, "I'm not feeling very well." Ahsoka said, her eyes started to droop and she started swaying. "Ahsoka!" Natalia screamed as she ran to her and caught her as she fell, she lay her down and stood up. "This isn't good." Natalia said as she brushed her hands on her pants and coughed.

"General, are you alright?" Rex asked, Natalia sighed and looked at him, "Of course I'm not alright. We're going to die, Captain." Natalia said desperately.  "We're not going to die, General. I'm sure Skywalker has come up with some brilliant plan to save us." Rex said. Natalia laughed lightly and looked at Padmé and Ahsoka, they were both unconscious, "I hope so. Ahsoka has too much to live for, she's so young." Natalia said while crossing her arms. Rex looked at Ahsoka and Padmé then back at Natalia.

"So do you, General. The Republic needs you." Rex said while crossing his arms too, "There are many Jedi Knights and Generals in the Republic, Captain. I'm one of a million." Natalia said as she leaned on the wall behind her. "Skywalker needs you." Rex reminded her. "I know Captain! You don't have to remind me!" Natalia yelled, starting to grow agitated. Everyone was silent as more bodies started hitting the ground around them. Natalia fought to keep conscious but she was starting to fail. "Natalia! Respond! We've found a cure!" Anakin said through his comlink. "Just in time too." Natalia responded as her eyes rolled back and she fell to the ground. Rex caught her and the people who were still conscious started to take the unconscious victims to the platform.

"General! We're here!" Rex yelled as they ran onto the platform to see a medical transport ready and waiting. Anakin ran over to Rex and grabbed the unconscious Natalia. "You're going to be okay." Anakin said as he moved Natalia's hair of her face. The stretchers were loaded and Anakin stayed with Natalia until she woke up again. "Anakin." Natalia whispered as she held onto his hand, Anakin smiled at her, "This is the second time I've almost died." Natalia said while laughing, Anakin rolled his eyes as they walked onto the gunship and went into the air. "The victims are expected to make a full recovery thanks to you and General Kenobi." One of the medic clones said. "Thanks Anakin." Natalia said with a weak smile.

By the time they reached Coruscant the victims were already strong enough to stand. "I'd advise you all to get some rest." The clone said as they all got off of the gunship, Natalia nodded and headed to her quarters in the temple. "Natalia! Wait up!" Anakin said as he ran toward her. She spun around to see him, he looked worried and relieved at the same time. "You've almost died twice in the past week, I think we deserve some alone time for once." Anakin said as he leaned on the wall, Natalia nodded in agreement and invited him into her room (THERE'S GONNA BE NO SMUT SORRY)

"Wow, you're room is so tidy." Anakin said while looking around, compared to how she looked right now the room was spotless. "Yeah, I never have time to be in here. This is the first time in months." Natalia complained as she threw herself onto the bed. Anakin sat at the end of the bed awkwardly, "Anakin, we've been married for almost a year, you can come closer." Natalia said while laughing. Anakin sighed and scooted closer, "This war is tiring." Natalia finally admitted, Anakin nodded, they were both covered in dirt and grime and they were both literally exhausted. "But there's no end in sight." Anakin finished for her, Natalia nodded and lay her head on Anakin's shoulder. "Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I wasn't Jedi." Natalia said as she pulled one of her metal fingers.

"I do too, what it would be like if you guys never landed on Tatooine, if I was never rescued." Anakin said as he mimicked Natalia by pulling on his metal fingers. Anakin turned toward her to see her staring at him, he leaned in and the two kissed for the first time in a long time. Natalia leaned backwards and smiled at him as she grabbed his two hands, they stared into each other's eyes for what seemed forever. 

Suddenly Natalia got up and walked over to the door and locked it.

And for the first time in a long time they were alone.