34. Piggy back ride my minion

I'm going to be pretty busy tomorrow, so I'm not sure I'll be able to update.

I'll do my best and update when I get the chance.

Thirteen's POV

"How?!" Both Chase and Cody sputter. Their eyes wide in shock as they stare at Lily who waggles her fingers at them.

"Struck a deal with the devil to get a life extension," Lily replies with a wide smile, popping her lollipop back into her mouth. "Gotta fill the quota of souls I promised him. Wanna be my next two victims?"

Both boys take an automatic step back, away from her. She grins wider and her eyes sparkle with her devilish mischief.

"Lily." I groan. "You're not helping." She smiles at me.

"Since you guys clearly need to talk I'm going to go find some poor defenseless civilian to terrorize. Later losers." She says as she begins to skip off down the hallway.

Both Chase and Cody watch her go as if they're seeing a ghost before turning towards me. I can't really decipher the looks on their faces.

"You told us she was dead." Cody finally says and I let out a sigh, leaning my weight on my crutches. "Since that's obviously not the case, where's she been all these years?"

"Beyond that," Chase cuts in. "Does Ryder know she's alive?"

I shake my head. "No, Ryder doesn't know she's alive," I respond to Chase.

"Why?"

I let out a resigned sigh. "I just...I never felt the need to tell him when..." I trail off.

"When, what?" Cody questions.

I run a hand through my hair before I continue. "She was in a coma these past four years." I finally mutter. "I didn't feel like giving her parents, and Ryder, false hope." I shake my head. "The doctors told me she wasn't going to wake up. Kept telling me to pull the plug. To let her die."

I shrug and look at the ground to keep from looking at their expressions. "Call me selfish but I didn't want her parents or Ryder making the call to finally pull the plug and end her life...so I never told them. I never told them she'd survived being shot by Garrett, and I never told them she had slipped into a coma."

"So that's why you disappeared for those three days." Cody states and I nod.

"Zero called to tell me she woke up. I couldn't not come to see her, not after...not after everything's that's happened."

"Well, then I guess there's only one thing left to do."

"What's that?"

"Make sure her and Devin never meet."

***

Poke.

"An-Lily, stop that. Let her sleep."

Poke.

"Seriously she's exhausted."

"I need her to yell at Zero for me."

Poke.

"Can't you yell at him yourself?"

Poke.

"Not this time. It has to do with the mental state he thinks I'm in."

Poke.

"You mean your obvious brain damage?"