Part 14

I stared into the empty eyes of the monster that was on top of me; my arms threatening to give out under it as it desperately tried to get what it desired.

As my hope began dwindling, I pushed against it one more time before the hungry force instantly became dead weight and an arrow was just inches from my face.

I let out a shaky breath, immediately pushing the rotting body off of myself and sitting up.

I looked up, still in shock, Daryl's harsh stare on me.

"What happened?" Glenn asked, out of breath as he ran from around the corner of the building.

"Hells it look like?" Daryl grumbled, pulling his arrow out of the walkers head before storming away from the area.

I let out a shaky sighed, pushing myself off the ground and pointing to my bag, "Medical supplies; a lot of it."

Glenn furrowed his eyebrows at me before walking over to the bag and digging through it, "Holy-- this is what we needed!"

I absentmindedly ignored his verbal celebration as I walked over to a group of taken out walkers on the ground, scanning each one of them until I found what I was looking for; my knife-- directly in the back of one's skull.

A tired smile crept onto my face before I pulled it out, wiping its blade on my pant leg.

"You're ok, right?" Glenn asked as he looked me over, "No bites, scratches-"

"I'm good." I nodded.

"Then we need to get this stuff back to Alexandria right now." He said, handing me my previously discarded gun and swinging the bag over his shoulder.

I followed closely behind him as we made our way to the car, still shaken up after what just happened, but happy that I got what I did.

"Daryl!" Glenn said, getting the attention of the man who was now smoking, "We need to go-- Liz got an entire bag filled with meds."

Daryl eyed me, taking a long drag before walking over to Glenn and digging through the contents of the bag.

" 'Kay." He mumbled, the cigarette still in his mouth as he returned back to his bike, grabbing his bag and tossing it in through the back window.

***

"Are you going to tell me what happened back there?" Glenn asked, taking his eyes off the road for a moment to look in my direction.

I sighed, pulling my gun from my waistband, "It jammed."

He shot me a questioning look, but nodded, "Ask Abraham to take a look at it when we get back; he's good with guns."

"Ok, I will." I nodded, leaning my head against the passenger side window.

My mind was overflowing with everything that had just happened and everything that could've gone wrong. I put my life and the lives of others at risk over selfish reasons, and on top of all of that, I took a chance that could've ended in me killing a human.

Rick and Deanna trusted me with this job and I felt like I was failing at it already. I've lived out here for so long and still I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing half the time.

I needed help.