Chapter 31: A Fighting Chance

Yeah, I was pretty sure my dad hated Nick at this point. Oh, well. There were things going on that went beyond the scale of parental approval.

Once I'd decided to take action instead of waiting to be blindsided by it, I called my mom to let her know. Well, to let her know I wouldn't be home.

"No, everything is alright," I assured her. "There's just some things going on that I need to take care of."

"We," Nick corrected from across his kitchen table.

"Yes, that we need to take care of." There was nothing but silence on the other end of the phone. "Mom, are you there?"

"Yes." More silence. "Amber?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you... are you pregnant?"

"What? No! No, I'm not pregnant," I informed her adamantly, causing Nick to start laughing. "No. No babies here." I couldn't believe her mind went there, but if I looked at it from her point of view, I could see how it did. "No, it's not anything like that." I took a deep breath, wondering how much to explain and how much to keep to myself. "Listen, remember when we investigated at that asylum?"

"Yes."

"Well, think back to life since then. Some crazy things have happened, right?"

She was quiet again before finally answering. "Yes, they have."

"Something happened at that asylum that I don't want to get into, but it's something that needs to be fixed. We don't know how to fix it, but we're gonna try and I just need some time, okay?"

"No, it's not okay, Amber. I don't like feeling left in the dark." She took a quick breath into the phone. "I'm worried about you."

"I know you are, but you have to trust me."

"What happened at that place? Can you at least tell me that?"

Why not? After everything else, the truth might not seem too far-fetched or insane. "Something followed us home."

"Like... a ghost?" she asked, obviously not expecting that.

"Yes, I guess you could say that. A very, very bad one." I heard her gasp but ignored it. "And we have to get rid of it. We have to get rid of this once and for all."

"Is that what happened? What happened to you before? And Erik?" she added, things finally clicking. "Is that what's wrong with Erik?"

"Yes. Everything that's happened is because of this thing."

I heard her mumble something, her voice muffled. "And Nick is helping you?"

"Yes."

"And this is the only way?" she asked, her voice shaky.

"Yes," I repeated, my voice matching hers as a knot formed in my throat. "I'm tired of being scared and living in fear. I want this over."

"I can't believe this is happening," she said under her breath. "Please, be careful. You and Nick, both, better be careful. I don't know what you're going to have to do, but whatever it is, please be careful."

"We will be." As careful as one can be in a situation like this, anyway.

"Let me know what's going on. Check in every night. And morning. And let me know if something happens or your plans change."

She started to say something else, but I interrupted her. "Mom, I said we'll be careful. And I'll check in. And I'll keep you posted as to what's going on."