Chapter 40

Logan and Rory got back to Stars Hollow and decided to head to the inn to see Lorelai. Rory walked through the door and looked toward the reception desk to find her mother taking a reservation. She gave a slight wave when she saw who the new arrivals were.

After hanging up the phone, she called out to them. "The prodigal couple has returned." She was making a few notes in the reservation log, which she finished quickly.

"We have. I just wanted to come see you. Have you heard from Dr. Williams?"

"I have. No baby yet." The statement may have been simple but the look in Lorelai's was anything but.

Logan's mouth tipped down in a frown, though he said nothing. Rory suspected he was a little uncomfortable trying to console Lorelai.

Rory moved around the desk to embrace her mother. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"It's okay, kid. It's not like I have been on the meds for years. Luke and the doctor both told me to relax so that is what I am trying to do."

Rory made a mental note to look into something later but, right now, she wanted to catch her mother up to speed on the house. "Got a minute for a cup of coffee?"

"There is always time for coffee." Lorelai took off to the kitchen to grab a few cookies that she knew Sookie had baked earlier in the day. Once she met up with Logan and Rory in the dining room, she saw that the new waiter, Brad, had already poured three cups of coffee. Lorelai placed the tray of cookies on the table.

Without hesitation, Rory reached for one. "I have missed Sookie's cookies."

"Don't fill up on them. Luke called to say Jess and Natalie were on their way and would be coming over for dinner."

Logan touched Rory's arm. "Looks like we got back in perfect time."

Rory turned to Lorelai. "What do you know about this Natalie? Has Jess given Luke any more details?"

Lorelai nodded. "Jess called a few days ago. Luke managed to ask a few questions but Jess didn't talk long. All Luke said was that Jess had been set up with Natalie and they ended up really hitting it off. He said he knew on their first date that he'd marry her."

"Wow. That's...I don't know. Really quick. Even sort of presumptuous."

Logan chimed in, his voice quiet. "I knew the first time I really spent time with you that you were different from all the other girls and that I could see myself married to you."

Lorelai leaned in, flipping a thumb in Logan's direction. "See, I always knew he was smart."

Rory laughed while turning to face Logan. "Really? You still think that initial impression is correct, after all the time we've spent apart?"

"I do. After all, look at where we are now."

*****

Luke wanted to make something classic for the dinner with his nephew so he settled on lasagna, salad, and garlic bread. He made two pans of lasagna, one with the traditional meat, cheese, and tomato sauce with the other a chicken alfredo variation that Lorelai was especially fond of. He hoped it would make her happy with the day she's had.

Just as Luke was placing the garlic bread in the broiler, the front door opened. He heard Rory's voice carry into the kitchen, along with a baritone voice he assumed belonged to Logan. Laughter rang throughout the house as Lorelai led them toward Luke.

The three emerged into the kitchen as Luke grabbed the lettuce from the fridge. He proceeded to prepare the salad while the lasagna finished baking. He didn't converse much with those in the room, instead focusing on getting everything ready. The doorbell rang just as he finished.

Luke and Lorelai both walked to greet the new guests, who came with a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Lorelai accepted the colorful display commenting about making them the table's centerpiece, then moved into the living room to allow Jess and his fiancée to settle in for a moment.

Jess introduced Natalie to Luke and Lorelai. He spied Rory coming out of her childhood bedroom and he smiled. Luke watched as Jess was about to gesture to her when he must have noticed she was followed by someone. Logan.

Jess' smile faded quickly.