44

Gift

Gift

Natalie avoided Shane's stare as she sat down in front of the RV in between T-Dog and Glenn.

"You good, lil mama?" T-Dog asked.

Natalie nodded curtly, not wanting to her words to lie anymore.

T-Dog patted her knee kindly.

"Here, honey," Carol said gently, handing Natalie a plate of food.

Natalie smiled kindly.

When Andrea walked up to the scene, Natalie immediately lost her appetite.

She stood up quickly and carried her plate over to Andrea's chair. She slammed the plate onto Andrea's lap.

"Here! You always have liked my leftovers," Natalie snapped, shooting a dirty look in Shane's direction as she stormed off.

"You should probably share with Lori, too. She has a thing for leftovers, too," Natalie called back over her shoulder.

As she walked back to her tent, a strong hand wrapped around her wrist, turning her around.

"What?" Natalie snapped, not caring who she saw when she turned around.

"You cut your hair," Shane said gently.

"Yeah, and you shaved your head," Natalie snapped.

"It seems like the less hair you have, the less sane you are and the shorter my hair is, the shorter my patience for you is," Natalie snapped.

"I just wanted to say, happy birthday, baby," Shane said.

"I'm not your baby, Shane," Natalie snapped.

"I just figured you might want your birthday present now," Shane teased, a smirk on his face.

"Maybe you should just give my birthday present to Lori or Andrea. I'm sure they'd enjoy it," Natalie snapped.

"God, Natalie! You act like you don't even like me and then you pull this kind of shit! What the hell?" Shane snapped angrily.

Natalie licked her bottom lip in frustration.

"You're right. I don't like you," Natalie said simply.

"What the he--" Shane started.

"I love you. Always have, always will," Natalie cut him off.

Shane's face softened.

"But that's over. All of it's over. This isn't good for me anymore. It's toxic. You're toxic. You used to be a womanizer-- a damn good one, at that. I fell for it and then you fell for me. It's a beautiful story, Shane, but stories end. And I'm ending this one," Natalie said firmly, trying to hold herself together.