Chapter 1

The Kingdom of Hell
Lucifer's POV

I sat at the dining table, watching demons fly by my window every few seconds. It's amazing how busy Hell can be on a Saturday. "My lord." I turned to see my loyal second in command waiting by my side.

"... Azazel. What news have you brought?" I kept my voice at an even tone, though I was quite interested in the news of Earth. Humans always fascinated me. So stupid, yet so smart. So fragile, yet so strong... "Nothing much has changed. Many souls have entered the judging room, so we might have a few new demons to welcome to the ranks." I nodded, looking around the empty space, deep in thought.

"Azazel, what do you think about having a queen?" Azazel looked surprised, as if the thought of a queen disturbed him. "What do you mean?" I gestured around the room. "What do you see?" Azazel made a scene of looking around the room before answering. "A dining room." He said, blatantly. I scowled slightly, causing him to flinch. "No! There's nothing!"

Technically, we were both correct. The large space was in fact a dining room. The long black table took up most of the space, surrounded by red tall-backed chairs. There was a chandelier hanging above the middle of the table, it's black arms dripping with red crystals as the candles burned a deep orange, casting an eerie glow about the room. But, other than that, the room was empty. No decorations. No paintings covered the walls. Nothing.

Azazel sighed. "What are you getting at, my lord?" I wasn't particularly sure myself. It had never once bothered me that I lived here alone, but I guess even feared, evil overlords of Hell get lonely too. "I want a queen to rule by my side." Azazel looked at me like he couldn't believe I was the ruler of Hell. "... My lord, you have ruled alone for thousands of years. Why is it that you decide this only now?" I shrugged. Why only now? Not even I knew.

"Well... Think about it. You always here about a king and a queen ruling, but here it's always 'Lord Lucifer' this and 'The Evil Overlord' that. Just once I'd like to hear about 'The Evil Overlord and his Wife.'" Azazel sighed once more. "How are we going to find this queen?" I thought for a moment. "Don't know." Azazel looked annoyed. "Don't be like that. We'll find her." I looked out the window once more. The crowd had died down, giving me a clear view of the sun scraping the horizon in a deep shade of red. "We have to."