20

"Game day, ladies." Harry says, ending the workout for today. "We have worked very hard these past few days and we will win." he encourages us, pacing back and forth. "Then we have a few more games until we prepare for playoffs."

"I wonder how that's going to be." Monique complains to me. "Double the workouts." she rolls her eyes.

"He's actually been on ease lately." Kourtney jumps in. "All we can do is hope whatever is going on at home doesn't change." she laughs, making me shift uncomfortably.

"Ladies," Harry snaps, looking right at us. "Would you like to share your conversation?" he asks crossing his arms.

"No sir, sorry." Monique apologizes.

"We'll discuss this later during practice tomorrow." he says, dismissing us.

After getting dressed for school, I make my way up to class. I was getting close to the classroom, but I'm pulled aside.

"You've been ignoring me." Brennen says, looking down at me. "Did I do something?"

"N-no," I shake my head. "I've just been busy with school, work and practice."

"So you can't stop for a minute and send a text?" he argues. "I have the same situations and I have the decency to send you a text whenever I can."

The warning bell rings and I back away. "Brennen, I- can we talk about this later?" I ask, turning the hall and he follows me.

"When?" he asks, holding onto my hand. "Rylee, we've been on a couple dates and I really like you so far. I just want to get to know you more and like you even more than I do now. You're smart, pretty, and very interesting when you open up."

I blush, dragging him down the hall. "Brennen, I like you too–"

"But," he interrupts.

"I-I can't keep leading you on when there's someone else I've been seeing." I tell him.

"There's another guy?"

"I'm sorry, but I feel gross being with two different people an-and I just can't do it anymore."

"With me? You chose the other guy?"

"I-"

"Eversteen," Harry calls me from a few feet away. He crosses his arms, standing by the door. "The bell rang ten seconds ago."

"I'm coming coach." I say then look back at Brennen. "I'm so sorry."

-

"Monique, I need you to communicate more." Harry shouts out. He rubs his face like he were frustrated by watching this game, but we were winning so far. "Leslie, bend your knees."

The ball is served again and it hits on our side. Harry growls, pacing back and forth. I stand up and catch him. He pulls away, staring blankly into my eyes.

"You need to calm down." I tell him. "We're winning."

"Things can take a turn." he snaps. "Now go sit down until I tell you to get up."

I frown, slowly sitting back down. He's been acting like this all day. The snapping and arguing with the girls has been happening all day. I watch him pace until he pauses the game and takes Leslie out. He snaps his fingers at me and gestures me to get on the court. I roll my eyes, following his indirect order.

The shouting begins again and he throws many comments out about how we could play better. I make two scores and the rest of the team helps add on five more points. Harry starts criticizing me and I stand up straight from my position. I wave for a pause in the game and walk off.

"Rylee, what ar-" Monique tries speaking, but Harry talks over her.

"Eversteen, get back on that court now." Harry orders.

"I don't know what's wrong with you." I start. "I'm not going to play while you're doing nothing but bringing us down with the little flaws we have even though we're way ahead in the game by so many points."

Harry stares down at me, keeping his arms crossed. He bites his inner cheek, twisting to look behind him.

"Leslie, you're back in the game." he nods.

I glare at him, shaking my head. Then I storm out of the gym only to have him follow me. He calls after me and I snap.

"No, what the hell is wrong with you? Is there something wrong at home? Are you– Did I-"

He grabs my arm and leads me into a nearby bathroom. He checks the stalls before taking me into one of them.

"I can't be your other guy." he says, the green in his eyes flicker as he stares into mine. "I won't be the other guy having a relationship with their student."

"Wh-what ar-"

"Rylee, I heard you talking to Brennen." he sighs. "I'm that other guy you were talking about. Hearing you talk about that to someone else made me think,'What the hell am I doing?' I-I'm not this guy to go to some girl's house to give them soup when they're sick. I don't get in beds with students and lay with them."

I gently grab his face. "I never asked you to bring me soup. I never asked for a relationship with you. I broke it off with Brennen because I don't want a relationship and he does. He wants to go out in public, hold hands and kiss me while others are watching. I'm not that type of girl. I'm also not that type of girl who messes around with multiple guys, especially with a teacher."

"What are you saying?"

"I didn't choose you." I tell him. "I didn't choose anyone, so stop panicking and acting all bitchy toward the girls."

He inhales. "I wasn't panicking."

A smile forces its way onto my face. "Is that so?"

"I wasn't, I just got worried that you might've-"

"Whatever Harry," I laugh. "You have girls out there who need their coach."

"But I-"

"We can talk about this later, Harry." I nudge him out of the stall. "We have to get back out there."