Lexi, the Unprepared

I did three tests and all the results were the same.

Positive.

I was sitting on our bathroom floor, looking at the little plastic sticks and freaking out.

Holy fraaaaaaack.

Pregnant. I was pregnant. Me. Us.

How was I supposed to break the news to Blake?

It wasn't exactly the right time for us to have a kid. I was only twenty-two for crying out loud. I was still a kid myself. I was not ready to have a baby.

Sure, my father would probably be ecstatic that he'd be a grandpa and I already knew Daph would be happy that her little munchkin would have a playmate and potential lover, but that wasn't what mattered.

I wasn't even done with college. By the time I would give birth I'd probably be like, smack in the middle of my finals. This was something kind of stupid to think about in the grand scheme of things, but setting myself back, or never even finishing my degree because I was pregnant was never in my plans.

Blake and I didn't have that many plans, but the whole family thing wasn't for another few years. We'd never even talked about kids that much. Sure, Blake joked a lot about it, but we never even talked about when we wanted to start a family of our own.

And thinking about all of this just made me realize how truly unprepared for this we were.

Irresponsible people like us never should have had sex to begin with if we hadn't even talked about when we actually wanted kids.

And frack, I was on the stupid pill! Why hadn't it worked? Had I missed a day? Was I really that much out of it?

But hey, at least our child wouldn't be a bastard conceived out of wedlock, so yay us.

Ugh.

I got up on my feet and walked back to our room, and let myself fall on our bed, burying my face in my pillow. I sort of grabbed all the sheets and covers and tried to pull them over me, maybe if I hid myself under everything this would all just go away, it would be a strange dream and I would wake up and tell Blake and we would laugh and it would be over.

I wasn't ready for a kid. Or giving birth. Oh frack, I was not ready to push a little human being out of me. If having my period was a little preview of what giving birth would be like, I would probably die giving birth.

I mumbled incomprehensible words against my pillow, kicking my legs against the mattress when I heard the door to Blake's art room open and his feet hitting our hardwood floor.

I sat up automatically, and wrapped all the sheets around me like a cocoon. The second my husband walked through the door of our room, I felt like I might hyperventilate. Instead I just said a faint, "Blake..."

He barely looked my way though, he was just yawning and rubbing his eyes. He'd pulled another all-nighter. "Yes Pumpkin?"

I motioned for him to come sit beside me, my hand reaching towards him.

He didn't take my outstretched hand though. "Okay, so Pumpkin," he scratched the back of his head, ruffling his hair, "don't take this the wrong way, I love you I really do, but if you want to have sex right now I can assure you that my performances will be disappointing. I haven't slept in thirty eight hours and I can't remember the last time I brushed my teeth. I'm pretty sure I smell right now—"