Jealousy Waves

Jealousy Waves

Sirius lay on his back on the Gryffindor common room couch, his legs over the back of the couch, his head hanging over where his legs should've been, illuminated by the glow of dying embers in the hearth, as he kicked his sock-covered feet to the beat of Rat Bat Blue by Deep Purple, which played quietly on his stereo. He was lipsyncing the lyrics, his eyes closed, playing a bit of air guitar...

"You do know you have an exam in the morning?"

Sirius was so surprised to hear the voice that he tumbled heels over head off the couch and landed on his arse before it, looking up to see Lily Evans standing there, a bemused expression on her face, her hair hanging in two messy, uneven braids.

"Well Merlin's nipple, Evans, you didn't have to scare the piss out of me." He rolled and hit the stop button on the stereo and with a click the stereo came to a stop and he turned back to look at her warily. "How long were you watching me?"

Lily smirked. "You were singing Brown Eyed Girl when I came down... I went out to the loo and came back and here you are air guitaring like a maniac," she replied.

Sirius grinned. "A maniac. I like it."

Lily came 'round the couch and sat down and said, "You have quite an eclectic taste in music, Sirius Black."

He shrugged, "Its life, Evans, music is life. There's just nothing like it. Muggle music especially. Muggles make magic with their music." His eyes sparkled with the words as he said them. He stared up at her. "John Lennon has to be a wizard, he has to be."

"Muggle," she said, shaking her head.

"I refuse to believe that!" he said dramatically, "I mean, have you heard Imagine?"

Lily nodded.

"But you haven't really if you can say it so calmly, with just a nod - Evans!" Sirius launched himself at the stereo and switched out the tapes, fast forwarded for a few moments and crawled back over as the familiar piano notes filled the room, turned up a bit louder than he'd had it before and he climbed up beside her and curled into a ball at the end of the couch, hugging his legs to his chest, wiggling his toes as the song started, a smile crossing his lips... and he whispered the words along with John Lennon, and Lily found herself more fascinated with him reciting it than she was with the song itself.

"Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... you...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world would be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world.... you
You... You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
And I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one...
"

He opened his eyes as the song ended and looked at her, one eyebrow cocked.

"Amazing," she relented, smirking at him.

Sirius smiled sheepishly, then flicked his wand and the stereo shut off. "Sorry, I know I get sort of... nerdy... when I go on about music. I used to do that to Remus, too. I'd start in about some shitty little piece of music nobody else really gives a damn about and he'd just nod and what have you..." he held his wand in one hand, his wrist limp over his knees. He stared at the stripes on his pyjamas - old pyjama bottoms he'd had since second year. They'd been big then, but now they only barely reached his mid-calves anymore, he'd grown so much taller. Though still not taller enough to be as tall as Remus Lupin (bloody hell was anything that tall?).