Demon Whisperer chapter 10

Chapter 10

The Great Prince of Hell, Belial, had been my friend. Well, again, as much as a demon could be one. It was like being buddies with a tiger or a lion. When you pet them it’s all purring and rough tongue licking but when you stop, and they smell the scent of blood rushing through your veins, you pretty much need to run for your life because they are going to rip your hand off and eat it.

Right before my exodus out of hell, I had stopped petting Belial. I’d betrayed him for a chance to get out of my mental prison. His daughter, Avaira, offered me a one and only opportunity to get out and I took it. She had wanted to piss off Daddy by screwing a human and I helped her out with her plan. I didn’t think about the consequences at the time. It was cheapening and degrading, but I’d have done anything to get out.

Technically, it had been my first sexual experience. Although I still considered myself a virgin when I woke up. For all intents and purpose, I considered sleeping with Aspen for the first time my devirginization. She’d been my first and I’d been hers.

I’m not proud at all for what I did inside, it had been rushed and clumsy, and I was sure Avaira didn’t enjoy it one bit, but I wouldn’t be sitting here awake and not in hell if I hadn’t done what I did. I knew one day I would pay the price. I guess today was the day.

I grabbed another beer from the table, popped the tab and guzzled the whole thing. Setting the empty down on the table, I burped and shook my head. It was going to take more than a few beers to anesthetize the fear that was swirling in my gut. Belial was bad-ass. He didn’t fool around. And if he was out and about and looking for payback, he’d get it one way or another.

“Technically, I didn’t really have sex with Avaira,” I said wondering who I was trying to convince. “I wasn’t in my body. It was just my…my essence.”

“Yeah but that’s who you really are, man. You’re not this form of flesh and blood. It’s just liquid and goop, really. A vessel. You are basically a ball of electrical impulses and energy.” Dan smirked. “And your spirit ass pumped her good.”

“You’re not helping.”

“I didn’t realize I was supposed to.” He grabbed yet another slice of pizza and folded it into his mouth.

Leaning forward, I snagged the necromancy book I’d been reading earlier from the coffee table. I’d fallen asleep before learning anything of value. Maybe there was something in this text that could help me. At least to locate the demon. The dead had to have some kind of network. Spirits communicated to each other. So it made sense, at least to me, that zombies would too. And demons were linked to all that death and destruction.

“Can you talk to zombies?” I asked Dan as I flipped through pages.

Dan shuddered. “Ew, why would I want to?”

I side-ways glanced at him. “Zombies freak you out?”

“Yeah, they’re gross.”

That little tidbit surprised me. I didn’t think Dan was put off by anything. “Okay, besides their grossness factor, can demons communicate with zombies?”