22 : Vanilla Twilight

When violet eyes get brighter
And heavy wings grow lighter
I'll taste the sky and feel alive again

22 : Vanilla Twilight (edited)

     Pain was inevitable. It was a constant reminder that kept you hold in a vice-like grip with hurt as the center of attention. It was mid-March by now, a couple of days passed Remus's birthday. Though it was hard to acknowledge it, Catherine had moved on from her grandmother's death. She skipped two days of school to be at home, attend the funeral, and the mourning that followed. She did her fair share of grieving, and once realizing that this wasn't what her Nana would've wanted of her to be doing, she stopped the waterworks. She started to smile more often again, her mood lightening and everyone could see that.

     On Remus's seventeenth, he had wanted something simple and classy. There was a fancy restaurant in Hogsmeade and Remus had everyone meet up there. The boys wore dashing suits and the ladies had on evening dresses. Everyone looked beautiful that night and it was as though all the problems were forgotten. No one talked about someone's death, nor about a full moon that was coming in a couple of days, and most definitely not about the wishful thinkings they all had in them.

     It was a beautiful Saturday morning and Catherine wanted to go out and do something. Taking a nice, long shower, Catherine thought of possible activities she could do today when she suddenly remembered something. The book she had always wanted to buy in Tomes and Scrolls.

     Now filled with a purpose, Catherine got dressed, stuffed her feet in some shoes, grabbed her little purse with an Extendable Charm, and dropped some Galleons inside before running a brush through her hair. Catherine left the room shortly and stepped out of the Common Room, bumping into Peter on her way out.

     "Oh," she said in slight surprise, "hello, Peter."

     Peter fiddled with his thumbs, keeping his gaze directed at his shoes. "Hey, Cat Queen. Where're you going?"

     Catherine had an eyebrow raised as she replied cautiously, "Hogsmeade. Why?"

     Peter seemed to look relieved for some reason. "Do you mind getting me something there?"

     Catherine's face relaxed as she grinned. "Sure, of course — what do you need?"

      He quickly told her what he needed as Catherine nodded and waved at him goodbye.

     Ever since she teleported that day when she touched James's hand and ended up in the Shrieking Shack, she swore she truly had heard Peter talking before he disappeared, but she was probably delusional and shook the thought off her head.

      It's not like Peter was actually capable of doing something terrible.

     Catherine went about her way as she sneaked into the secret passage. Once she was in Hogsmeade, Catherine felt calmer and in peace as she weaved through the busy streets full of lively witches and wizards and youthful shenanigans.

     Catching sight of Tomes and Scrolls, Catherine quickened her pace in excitement as she entered the store. She made a beeline to the shelf where the book was. There was a boy leaning against the shelf with a book in hand, his legs were long and one of his hands were tucked in a pocket. Catherine ignored him as she ran a hand across the books and scanned the titles.

     Frowning once she realized that the book was no longer there, she took a step back and crossed her arms. Pursing her lips, she heard a page turn as she glanced at the same boy who was reading. Her eyes drifted from his dark blonde hair to his blue eyes that were skimming the pages really swiftly and to the title of the book he was reading.