The Faeyrwynn Prophecy: Chapter Six

A/N: A bit short, but I felt like this part needed a chapter dedicated to it since it's a big deal(:

♥TMG♥

___________________________________________________       

    We kept walking through the forest for about an hour, before stopping again. Meila had led me to a small pond that connected to a thin creek that weaved between the trees. High above the pond stood a large cliff face, jagged and proud. Water poured over it’s side, creating a waterfall that fanned out about fifteen feet.

            “Where are we?” I asked, after remaining relatively silent for most of our journey. Meila sat down in the underbrush, removing her shoes and stripping off her socks. Night had fallen, but I was able to follow her anyways. Her pale skin had glowed faintly as she wove through the trees.

            “We have reached the gate,” she announced, her voice solemn, but I could detect traces of excitement layered beneath it.

            “Gate?” I asked, confused. I scanned the area, not knowing what I was looking for. I didn’t know what to expect really, but still. Meila stood up and walked around to the opposite side of the pond. She kneeled beside the thin strip of sand that outlined the pool.

            Curious, I walked around the opposite way to join her, looking over her shoulder. Reaching behind her, Meila ran her finger down the jagged edge of her right wing. I was right to assume the wings were sharp, for it had sliced her finger like a beautiful razor.

            “Why-?” I started to ask, but Meila hushed me. Obediently, I watched as she drew my symbols in the sand. Fascinated, I edged closer. She drew three of them, and they slowly began to glow.

            As Meila stood up, the glyphs shone brightly, illuminating her face. She was smiling, pleased with her handiwork. I glanced at her hand, noticing there was no trace of the cut that had been there minutes before.

            Ignoring my stare, Meila focused on the waterfall. I followed her gaze, realizing that the water was slowing down. The water itself never changed in volume, but as the symbols grew in brightness it acted as if it were moving in slow motion. After several seconds it stopped completely, as if someone had pointed a remote at it and hit pause. The water hung in place, glistening in the bright glare of the glyphs.

            “Now what?” I asked cautiously, eyes never leaving the spectacle before me.

            “Now…we walk,” she said simply, excitement bubbling over in her voice.

Meila walked forward, turning back to beckon me to follow her once more. She walked past the sand bank and into the pond. Wait. No, she couldn’t be!

            Meila was walking on the pond, casting ripples where her feet touched, yet she never broke it’s calm surface.

            “Come on,” she instructed, waving for me to hurry. “We don’t have much time.”

            I discarded my shoes and socks as she had, cautiously planting a foot upon the pool’s surface. Miraculously, my foot did not fall through. Instead, it felt like walking on flexible glass. I walked carefully upon the strange pond, stepping gingerly as I followed Meila to the other side.

            We stood side by side before the waterfall, which hung silent and still. It hummed with energy, casting a watery glow much like the glyphs.

            Meila turned, locking eyes with me. Fixing  me with a meaningful look, she backed into the waterfall.

            As she disappeared, she said but one word to me:

“Hurry.”