Chapter Five

Shelbie sighed as she looked at the blank page before her, the feather of her quill resting over her lips in thought. What was she supposed to write back to her mother? Sighing through her nose, she sat up in her chair and looked around her surroundings, which was the library, as if looking for something to spark some inspiration on what to write, before wrenching her mouth together, moving her lips from side to side as she regarded to blank page before her.

Maybe I should look at the letter again, maybe something'll come to me. She thought as she set the quill down carefully to fish though her satchel for the letter. Once she found the parchment, she unfolded it and began to read it once again.

'My dearest daughter...' Her eyes read each word again and again as if trying to piece together a response, but nothing came to her.

"Bollocks..." She sighs as she leans back into the chair. 'Write back to me soon with your thoughts.'

Ha, like that's going to be easy. Mrs. Embrose, or normally known as Tilly, was Mum to Shelbie, not only that, but the one thing that made it hard to write back to her mother was, was that she was sometimes the most hardest person to talk to. She loves her mother, she really does, but sometimes they don't really see eye to eye. Maybe thats how it was with most mothers with their daughters, there would also be the occasional time of when they would butt heads. When Tilly would say that its best to know what you want from the get go, Shelbie sees that sometimes things change...

At least her father was more flexible.

Should I just... Make something up? She shook her head. No, that will only cause trouble in the long run. But what would happen then?

Shelbie groaned at the back of her throat and let her head fall onto the parchment in front of her.

Another few hours wasted.

Candice hummed to herself as she bit into an apple and hitched her book up in her arms to prevent it from falling as she listened to Olivia.

"And--Oh Merlin!" Olivia suddenly bee-lined behind Candice making her squeak in surprise at her friends sudden action.

"Olive!--What's the big--"

"It's him!" She hissed. Candice furrows brows.

"Who?"

"Him!"

"Him?" Candice wondered as she set her footing back to a standing position as she looked around. "Who the h--Oh!" She saw who him was, who was standing not far from where they were standing.

It was Max.

"Shh!" Olivia hissed again. "He didn't see me right?" She asks, Candice shook her head.

"No, but he will if you keep acting like a crazy harpy!" She giggled. "Pull yourself together Olive!" Once Olivia peeked over her friends shoulder, she cleared her throat and brushed off her skirt consciously with her left hand as she walked back up beside her slowly, an embarrassed look on her face.

"Sorry, I just--Uhm..." Candice continued her giggles.

"Oh its alright Olive, you're just under the clutches of cupids arrow dear." She teased, and Olive turned bright red.

"C-Candice..."

"Okay okay, I'll stop." Olivia looked back up to Max and she couldn't help but lean her head on Candice's shoulder and sigh.

"He's so... Handsome." Candice grinned.

"Alright, stop staring before he sees, lets get to class." It didn't occur that Candice was talking to Olivia at that moment until Candice shook her shoulder to rouse back the attention of her heart eye'd friend. "Olive!" The girl finches back into reality.

"Huh?"

"Class?"

"Oh! Yeah yeah. Comin'..." Candice giggles as she takes Olivia's arm.

"You are so in love."

"Am not!"

"Are to~."

"Not!"

"Says the one who's having heart eyes over Maxie Boy 'ere."

"Candice!" She only laughed though.

"Lets get to class." Olivia bit her cheek, mildly annoyed but smiled to herself as she looked back towards where Max still was.

Shelbie sat down in her seat in charms, a sullen look on her face as she placed her satchel down on the ground beside her and looked at the seat beside her. Natalie wasn't there yet, but then again, she was kinda early. Never the less, Shelbie regarded the paper in front of her and decided to doodle on it. Grabbing her quill and opening up the ink jar in front of her, she dipped the end into it and started to draw on her paper.

After a while of drawing and students slowly entering the classroom silently, she was disturbed from a burst of laughter from behind making her look behind her to see what the ruckus was, but she didn't realize that she drew a line in the middle of her drawing. She gasped and whined at the ruined drawing. "Oh man!" She whispered. Looking back again, she looked to see it was none other but James Potter, and Sirius Black. Her eyes widened.

Her breath was in her throat when she looked at the two, and she soon remembered her goo predicament in the library because of them. Would they recognize me? She turned back around and crumpled up the paper. No, they probably wouldn't. She wouldn't blame them though, it was just an accident, and they probably only saw her covered in it, they wouldn't be able to see her face anyways.

She looked back towards the two and turned back to grab another piece of parchment to doodle on it again, trying to ignore their loud entrance and heard them bring back their chairs behind her, the wooden legs scrapping dully against the floor. She scrunched her eyes together when she realized that they were sitting behind her, making her nerves jump. "Oh Merlin..." She mouthed to herself. She opted to not notice them as she began to draw what she could remember from the doodle before.

All she heard was murmurs and short giggles behind for a while as she continued to doodle and wait for Natalie.

"Okay okay shh!" Shelbie bit the inside of her cheek and drew another curve into the drawing until she felt a tap on her shoulder. "Excuse me?" She turned around in her seat to see the smiling face of James Potter, his glasses resting on the bridge of his nose glinting a bit through his dark hair that was just falling over his eyes. She inhaled.

"Yes?"

"You wouldn't happen to know if I could find my way into your heart would you?" James asked, looking almost serious of his query as Sirius sniggered beside him. Despite her face getting hot, Shelbie felt challenged at his words, and without knowing how she came up with it, she said,

"You could try, but you'll have to find a map first." Sirius' eyebrows raised as he looked back at his surprised friend, almost amusingly as the seconds passed into minuets after her response. James continued staring at her.

"Where could I find this map?" Shelbie shrugged.

"Dunno, as I said, you'll have to find it." She replied, and turned back around in her seat to continue her drawing. When he couldn't see her, she furrowed her brows together and had a look of complete surprise.

"What?" She mouthed to herself. What just happened?

Behind her, James slowly sat down beside his hysterical friend with a curious look.

Natalie finally came to class after the exchange.