The Birdman Pt. 3

JJ cleaned the last of the paint up and made one last check outside to make sure there were no leftover paint brushes laying about anywhere. He heard the front gate close as Cal and the boys returned down the driveway. Walking back inside to Simon, JJ smiled and said, "Incoming."

His boyfriend laughed. "At least we're ready this time," Simon said while also giving the great room one last look over.

Both men looked up as Cal entered carrying Ethan, Harry and Tobi following worriedly behind. JJ frowned and stood up.

"What happened?"

"Only a little spill." Cal began. He paused as Ethan wriggled from his arms and, skirting around a kneeling JJ, climbed onto the sofa next to Josh. The five watched as the boy wrapped his arm around the other nine year old, even as Ethan buried his face in Josh's chest. The boy did not say a word or question the other boy's actions. He simply hugged Ethan as if he did it everyday.

Simon stood and walked closer to Cal. Speaking softly, he asked, "How minor, Cal? What the fuck happened?"

His friend gestured to the kitchen doorway and he, Simon and JJ walked over and closed the door, motioning for Tobi to take Harry upstairs away from the scene.

"Ethan was talking about the movie he watched this afternoon. He was just drinking the orange juice I bought him. David Bergman, y'know the sergeant my friend works under, came over and I was introducing them, when he dropped the bottle of juice, which ended up going all over him and spilling on the ground. I checked to make sure he was alright and got some tissues and cleaned his clothing. He seemed quite upset about it and I thought I'd bring him back straight away."

JJ peeked into the room and found that neither boy had moved. He turned back to Cal, frowning. "You didn't shout at him, did you?" Cal raised an eyebrow. JJ shook his head, as his hand waved back and forth. "I'm not accusing you, just trying to figure out why he would be so upset. He's spilled things before and never acted like this."

"No. I didn't yell at him. I asked if he was okay, cleaned him up but he was already really agitated. And then I brought him back."

They stepped back into the room. Simon walked over and sat down by Josh. He placed a hand on Ethan's chestnut hair. "Ethan?" He got no response from the boy. He tried again. "Ethan, are you ready to go eat? It's your turn to decide which pizza place. You ready to go?"

The response was a shake of the head and a muffled, 'not hungry'. Josh looked up at the man and his sad eyes told Simon that he had seen this behaviour before.

"Dad, can we eat at home? We could get the pizza and come back here," he said hopefully.

Simon ruffled the dark head and nodded. He looked up to see his boyfriend approaching. The man reached down and started to pull Ethan into his arms. He froze when his actions caused the child to cry out and clutch the other boy tighter.

Simon brought his eyes around to the meet JJ's. Both men were startled by the outcry. As they looked on the two boys seemed to meld together as they clung to each other. Simon could see the tremors in JJ's hands as they hung limp at his side.

Josh raised his eyes to look at the men who had taken them into their home two years ago. His eyes were full of tears, tears he could not shed. He knew he had to be strong for Ethan. The old fear was back, the fear the younger boy had when they first met, three years ago now.

"I have to hold him." The words were spoken flatly, but with determination. JJ opened his mouth, but Simon's hand on his arm had him closing it again. Simon nodded to Josh.

The boy whispered to the huddled form. Sliding off the couch, Josh turned and Ethan wrapped his legs around the slight frame of the slightly older and taller boy. Josh put both hands around his brother and turned back to the men.