39

"One truly never dies, they'll always be with you in the Force." -Natalia Schulter, Jedi Knight

--

"Natalia! You don't mean that! The Jedi Order is your life!" Palpatine said, clearly shocked, but Natalia shook her head, "Chancellor, the Jedi don't need me, I feel like I've buried myself alive, you told me to do what is right, and I know this is right." Natalia said as she dropped her head, she looked at the floor as she felt Obi-Wan's presence become visible, "What do you need, Obi-Wan?" Natalia asked as she turned her head to view the wise Jedi. "I've been informed on what's happening, what are you doing?" Obi-Wan asked while crossing his arms over his chest, clearly disappointed, "I'm leaving, Master." Natalia said as she got up, she walked past him, Obi-Wan reached for her but she was unreachable. "I'm sorry, Master. I have failed you." Natalia said while dropping her head slightly, she walked out of the room, without looking back, she could sense Obi-Wan's heartbreak and disappointment. "I've failed you, Natalia, this was my fault." Obi-Wan whispered. Palpatine was behind the two, rubbing his hands together. "This is all going according to plan." He thought to himself. "I'm sure you did all you could, Master Jedi." Palpatine tried to reassure Obi-Wan, but he shook his head.

"The Order did this to her, she'll be going back to the Temple." Obi-Wan said to himself as he ran out of the room and hopped into a speeder and sped off to the Temple. He stopped by the Temple and ran in, he ran through the front where hundreds of Jedi were walking around, he spotted Natalia and ran toward her. "Natalia wait!" Obi-Wan yelled. He ran to her and grabbed her hand, "Natalia, you can't leave." Obi-Wan said, his expression softened, Natalia looked miserable. "Master, I'm so sorry, I have failed the Order and I have failed you. I'm no use for the Order." Natalia said, her eyes had pools of tears in them, and her eyes had a tone of sadness in them. "You're needed here, Natalia. I don't think you understand how important you are to a lot of people here, to me, to Rex, to Caleb, to Anakin." Obi-Wan said, Natalia looked at the ground, "You haven't failed us, you've never failed us before." Obi-Wan said while placing his hands on her shoulders.

Natalia didn't smile, but she frowned. "I'm sorry, I've formed attachments and I've failed everyone, I'm not following the Jedi way, and that's why I'm too dangerous here. I'm sorry Obi-Wan, I really am." Natalia said while turning around to walk away, "Explain to me, why are you leaving?" Obi-Wan asked. "What is the point of this fighting?! We are supposed to be keepers of the peace, not soldiers! We are fighting for nothing, we are letting innocent lives die because of our greed for victory. At what cost does it take to win a useless war? Because at this point we are no better than the Sith." Natalia said while throwing her hands in the air.

"Natalia, this war will end I know that. But we need to keep fighting." Obi-Wan said calmly, "Obi-Wan, I have heald my head up for too long, I've given everything up for Republic victory. But I'm sorry, I can't do it anymore. I've almost died too many times for this useless war, and I can't take it anymore." Natalia said, tears streaming down her face. Obi-Wan nodded, "I understand wanting to walk away, Natalia. I understand what it's like to want to give up everything, even the Order." Obi-Wan said, "Master, you've wanted to leave the Order?" Natalia asked, he nodded. "A few times, during this war even. But I stuck through and I stayed with my family." Obi-Wan said, "Now please, won't you stay a little bit longer." He asked, he smiled warmly at his former apprentice, she looked at him for a moment.

"Fine, Master. I'll try my hardest to stay, but that's because I have a family to protect." Natalia said while clutching her fist. Obi-Wan smiled, "I knew you'd never leave Natalia, you'd never leave me." Obi-Wan said while grabbing her hand, "Let's go." Obi-Wan said while walking back to his speeder. "Where are we going?" Natalia asked. "We're going home." Obi-Wan said.

Natalia understood what he meant, they were going back to Skywalker's flagship. Obi-Wan and Natalia ran to the hangar where Obi-Wan and Natalia's fighters were waiting, "Thanks, R4." Natalia said to her black and white astromech droid, she jumped into her fighter and started the engines. "Ready to go?" Obi-Wan asked, "I was born ready." Natalia replied.

Natalia looked out of the viewing screen of her fighter and watched the stars zoom past as she entered hyperspace, "It sure is beautiful, R4." Natalia said to her astromech, he beeped in agreement. She pulled on her steering system as they came out of hyperspace beside Skywalker's flagship. "We're here, Rex." Natalia said through her comlink, she watched the light escape from the hangar as he opened the shields, Natalia landed her fighter and jumped out of it and picked up R4. Almost as soon as she landed Anakin ran up to her.

"Natalia, I was so worried." Anakin said as he hugged her tightly, Natalia smiled as she hugged him back, "Anakin you don't have to worry about me, I'll always be here." Natalia said while she held his hand, he smiled back at her. "I'm lucky to be here with you." Anakin finally said, "And I'm lucky to be your wife, Skyguy." Natalia said, her eyes held a light so strong and her heart held onto his darkness so well, she felt the cracks in her heart patch up with her and Anakin's darkness, Natalia loved him no matter what happens in he future or what he does.

Because a part of her loved the darkness.