Chapter 9: Joyride

Chapter 9: Joyride

"JT, when I said let's get arrested, I never meant it literally. It was more figuratively speaking, if you've even heard of that," I blame him. "Clearly not, seeing as here we are," I speak my mind as I motion toward the cell that we're stuck in, and then gesture toward the bars that we just so happen to be behind.

Jay stays slumped up against the wall on the dirty floor of the cell. He is still glancing up at the ceiling, tossing a coin up and down in his left hand as if bored out of his mind. "In my defense, you did ask to get arrested. Who am I to deny you your wishes?"

"That's the worst defense ever. Do you always just randomly spout out complete trash?" I ask, exasperated with his nonchalance.

"Of course, it's natural talent. It's a gift I was born with," he states casually, not bothering to take his eyes off the forsaken ceiling. 

"I hate you so much right now," I retort, hard-headed.

"I've heard worse," he shrugs. "You'll get over it eventually."

"No, I won't," I argue. I'll have to pull off 'Prison Break' to get out of here with the way things are looking.

"You do realize that you were also involved, right? I never took the car for a joyride on my own, remember? You're as much to blame as me, so quit pinning it all on me. I am not your scapegoat," he protests.

"Yes, you are!" I stomp my foot in dismay, needing to shift the blame so that I don't have to face the consequences. 

He senses my apprehension, "This isn't the first time I've spent a night in jail. Relax a little. There's no other place on earth where you can truly embrace your inner thoughts like a jail cell," he says, looking to the nonexistent bright side of things.

I furrow my eyebrows, displeased. "Wow. Aren't you just charming? You little optimist," I reply in sarcasm. He's really not helping despite meaning well.

No one should be optimistic when they're sitting in a jail cell, even if it gives you time to clear your head. Clearly, your head wasn't very clear when you landed up in jail in the first place. 

"Bells is going to tear me apart when she comes to bail me out. I have never done something this extreme," I panic as I pace up and down the cell - might as well be stuck in an igloo. "I haven't even got arrested in 'Monopoly' for goodness sake, but here I am, stuck in jail. Jail, dammit!"

Jay sighs and rolls his eyes as if I'm overexaggerating, "In my second defense, you should have run faster when I said so."

"You don't get a second defense!" I snap at him, agitated. "And now you know that I am a slow runner for future heads-up."

"Evidently so," he retorts, gesturing to the cell.

I glare at him as he stands up to brush the dust off of his hands, indifferent to our situation. He stretches his arms out above his head and catches my stare. He merely grins, unfazed by my anger. 

I force my eyes away when his shirt rises.

I distract myself, walking up to the bars to bang my head against them repeatedly once again, still wishing for superpowers to bend the bars apart and make my grand escape. 

Jay's drops the coin and I'm snapped from my cell dreaming. 

I glance ahead of me, making out the cell opposite ours. In it, a butch looking woman with tattoos and piercings covering her body.

She notices me staring and flips me the bird. 

Jay laughs at this, having seen the exchange whilst my mouth falls open at her blunt rudeness. For once, I didn't even do anything.