twenty three

It has been a while since Lauren really sat down and hung out with Camila due to her extra hours of training. Camila had told her that she was gonna compete this time around after her deliberation. Lauren knew how much it meant to her to actually do it so she wished her well. She saw Camila around the hallways and when she'd wave from her window as Camila would arrive home later, walking with her sports bag slung across her shoulder.

Knowing Camila's birthday was coming up, Lauren told Dinah the week before if they could go and shop together at the mall. Shawn, knowing he gave his friends the same giant chocolate bar for their birthdays, said he didn't need to come with them so the pair went together by themselves.

Lauren knew what she wanted already, in fact saved up for it with her own pocket money. She bought her gift the first thing they did as they arrived. Dinah had trouble figuring out what she would get and ended up strolling the whole mall for two hours before deciding on a gift.

"Why won't you tell her that you like her?" Dinah asked as they walked home, after getting tired out.

"I don't think my words will ever be amount to how I feel. I'm not as good as she is." she sighed. "My old best friend did give me an idea that I can show her instead. And that's what I'm doing. It's a surprise, I'm really working on it."

The taller girl nodded. "Well Laur I hope that all works out well for you."

Lauren remembered how Dinah still had something between Camila and thought about it. "Are you and Camila okay now?" she asked, even if she knew that Dinah had been seeing Camila just as much, even less than Lauren recently. It was not helping that Dinah still felt coldly about her though Lauren tried to ignore it.

"Well I just bought her a gift didn't I?" Dinah said and Lauren didn't say anything more as they went home.

It was during lunch time when Camila surprised them all and dropped by. She looked really stressed as she couldn't seem to stop tapping her foot.

"Hey guys, I'm having a small get together on my birthday on the 3rd. I'd appreciate it if you come. My mom's cooking some Cuban food." she said, her eyes moving to meet theirs.

"That'd be great, we'll be there." Shawn said first. Knowing Ariana was gonna be there.

Lauren smiled at Camila, and she caught on, knowing she'll be there.

"How many people count in a small gathering?" Dinah asked, as if she was still unsure when she already bought a present. Lauren saw hesitation in her eyes.

"By small I mean only you guys and Ariana. The rest of the team threw me a party already yesterday." Camila said. Lauren realized that's why she arrived home near midnight.

"Well then, count me in." Dinah said, finally smiling.

Camila smiled and tapped the table. "Great, oh Cheechee you can bring Regina I'm sure Sofi misses her."

Dinah seemed surprised at her words before responding. "Right, I'll bring her. Bye Chancho!"

Camila smiled at the greeting and waved them all goodbye as she excused herself and jogged off out the lunch room.

"Cheechee? Chancho?" Lauren amusingly turned to Dinah, who looked satisfied.

"That was our childhood pet name for each other. I thought she forgot." Dinah said still awestruck.

"Guess she never stopped caring." Lauren said. That made Dinah silent for majority of the lunch while Lauren talked to Shawn about the wonders of Cuban food.

--

Lauren knocked on the door on the house across hers. She had her gift in a purple gift bag dangling on her hand.