Twenty-Seven

(Cedric's P.O.V.)

Early morning sunlight was streaming through the window. His eyes were still closed, and he was enjoying the last few moments of sleep.

The sound of a page turning disrupted his sense of peace and he opened his eyes to a beautiful sight.

Iris was sitting cross legged in a chair beside his bed, nose buried in a thick book. Her blonde hair was uncombed and she had bedhead. The sunlight from the window was lighting up her face and making her hair glow.

Her eyes strayed from the pages to his face, and she jumped at seeing him staring back at her. "Oh! You're awake now."

"Yeah." His voice was thick with sleep. "C'mere." He held out a hand for her.

She took his hand, lying her book aside and crawling into bed beside him. He pulled her close with one arm and she leaned up to kiss him.

He pulled away and muttered, "I haven't brushed my teeth yet."

"It's okay, I don't care. I just want to kiss you good morning right now." 

He leaned in and captured her lips in a sweet kiss, reveling in the fact that he was allowed to do this now.

They cuddled for a while, and then she dragged him out of bed, giggling at his grumpy face and bedhead.

Now that he was no longer wearing the bandage on his face, he was highly aware of the fact that people could see how scarred his face was. But after he had expressed his insecurity about the way his face looked now, Iris had told him that she never wanted him to hide it from her. So he didn't, and she never made him feel uncomfortable about the way he looked.

Summer break had been going on for several weeks now, and they were going to visit her family in two weeks for the rest of the summer.

Mostly their days consisted of avoiding his parents and reading or talking. Sometimes they would venture into the village near where he lived, but people stared a lot and it made him feel self conscious. So instead they had their own little adventures on the rolling hills around his home. They climbed up the trees that were big enough, and sat underneath them reading. He kissed her by the river, right before she splashed him and an all out war began.

Personally, he couldn't be happier, despite the fact that he couldn't see as well as he used to and that people either stared or pointedly looked anywhere but him.

His father though, was disappointed in what his son now was. Cedric could no longer resume his position as Seeker or Captain on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team because he couldn't see well enough to play. His father seemed to believe that the scars that now resided on his face would never allow him to do well in life, despite his astounding grades and friendly personality.

His mother had a much different view on it, and whenever she was around she would dote on him and act as though he was some sort of invalid even though he was adjusting very quickly to his new blindness.

So he and Iris spent most of their time away from his parents, which involved being away from the house a lot as well.

(Iris' P.O.V.)

They were on their way to her house for the rest of the summer, and she couldn't be happier. Her boyfriend was holding her hand, her family was waiting to meet them, and life was good.

Using the Floo Network wasn't her favorite, but she was too excited to go home to care. As soon as she stumbled out, slightly sooty and dizzy, she was attacked with hugs and love.

Cedric joined their little gathering a moment later, and she pulled him right into the hugs. She was happy that they embraced him as though he were their very own.

"How are you two doing?" Her father asked loudly as they parted and started carrying their things upstairs.

"I'm doing really well, dad, but of course you know that from my letters." She grinned.

"I'm doing very well, Mr. Maya. Considering all that's happened, my recovery is speedy." Cedric answered as politely as ever.

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me Tom?"

"At least once more, Mr. Maya." He grinned cheekily.

~~~

The rest of their summer vacation passed in happiness and love. Iris was happy to be home, and Cedric was glad to be away from such a negative environment.

September first was quickly approaching, and with it the reminder that this might be one of their last summers spent in such happiness. Who knew what the next few years would bring?

Their trip to Diagon Alley for new books and things was rather uneventful, except for the stares. It had bothered her a lot the way people looked at Cedric, and she knew that it was because of all the nasty things the Daily Prophet was posting about him. What did people expect, for him to suddenly start drooling or have a mental episode in public?

It seemed like hardly any time had passed before they were waving goodbye to her parents and heading off to Hogwarts again.

She would definitely miss this summer.

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

I can finally call you mine now. It's strange sometimes. So strange that I forget I'm allowed to hug you for too long or lean up to give you a kiss.

Most people at Hogwarts probably don't know about what happened this summer because they had all left before all of this happened. And I'm so glad it did.

I love you so much, and will continue by your side no matter what other people say about you. It will probably be harsh and cruel at times, but I'm prepared to be made the laughingstock of the entire wizarding world as long as I'm beside you.

Love,

Finally Your 'Ris