chapter thirty-three // lost & found.

harry's pov

I shuffle down the gravel pathway, scuffing small pebbles with the toe of my boots with my head hung low. I can't help but to feel absolutely worthless over the fact I did absolute shit in trying to console Zayn. I was the one who drug him here and look how well that ended up. 

Shoving my fingers through my greasy curls, coated with sweat after a hot night spent in Olivia's tour bus, stuck thinking about how miserable Zayn must have been all night. And not to mention Liam's in the same situation, perhaps even more heartbroken. It made me sick to my stomach thinking about how miserable those two must have been last night together. 

Olivia and I stayed up half of the night talking last night, though most of it was her trying to comfort me and keep me sane. At first she tried to level with me, recalling the fact that neither of us cared for Linley and it was probably in Zayn's best interest to not be with such a temperamental girl.

But as the night went on, we both came to the realization that we actually did quite like Linley. She was a little rough around the edges, sure, but she kept things entertaining. Linley expressed that she only pretended to hate her because she thought that's what I'd want; and truthfully, I think I did the same thing as well, thinking Olivia didn't want me to like her.

Then the guilt started to eat at the both of us. Neither of us are hateful or bitter people, yet we allowed the negativity to infect us and we just created an outside force, pressing against Linley and Zayn instead of allowing them to grow as a couple.

Soon we fell asleep with creases stuck on our foreheads, sick with worry and regret.

That's what's lead me wandering through the festival grounds, needing a moment to collect my thoughts as Olivia, Tea and Ed get ready for their performance tonight.  

My boots carry me in a familiar path, leading me back to the familiar camper we've all spent so much time lazying around. Knowing deep down what it is I need to do, I stand tall as I make my way through the campgrounds, ready to apologize to Zayn for everything, to ask if there's anything I can do to make it up to him and Linley. 

But as I shuffle down the pathway, my eyes focus upon a sight I hadn't been expecting to see. Niall stands there, leaning against the camper, a phone to his ear. Judging by the expression on his face, it isn't a pleasant phone conversation. I haven't seen Niall since everyone left, following Linley's dramatic runaway. 

"No, I'm not mad, I'm just... Okay, yeah, I'm a little mad," Niall sighs, rubbing his temple with his fingers, not noticing my arrival yet. 

I tip-toe towards him, making sure not to make a noise to interrupt this seemingly important conversation. I can't help but to wonder who's on the other line.

"Let's not talk about this over the phone, okay? I don't want to fight. I'll see you when the festival's over," He says, sounding rather defeated and empty. He hangs up the phone with a loud sigh.

His eyes travel up, landing on me standing a few feet in front of him. His normally jubilant blue eyes are clouded with emotions, turning his thin lips down in a frown. I don't say a word, not know whether or not he wants to talk about it or not.

"Suddenly everything's turning to shit," He shakes his head, his thick Irish accent weighed down with a tired, groggy croak to it.

I can't help but to snort in agreement as I lean on the camper beside him. It's been in a matter of two days. Everything around us seems to be crumbling far too quickly for any of us to grab on to. And here I thought Zayn and I could spend a nice week doing nothing but having a good time.