Chapter 10: Happy-Go-Lucky

I stare at the clock in hopelessness, time ticking away ever so slowly. I am literally watching my day plans slip right through my fingers. I tap my pen against my table, anxiously waiting for the class to end, when in actual fact it has just started, yet I'm already losing my mind.

"Ms. Lawson, do you mind with the pen?" Mr. Daughtry asks and I know better than to backchat him, hence my gazillion time being here.

I drop my pen back down to the table. Absentmindedly, I begin to tap my foot away at the messy tiles. Mr. Daughtry shoots me a look for disrupting yet again. I halt my foot from tapping away any further and send him an apologetic look in return.

I glance back at the clock to see that only a minute has passed. There's no way I am surviving this. No freaking way! 

I begin to fidget in my seat as I glance around the class, frustrated for getting myself into yet another sticky confrontation. Most of these people are complete morons or rebellious losers. They're the kind of people I steer clear from, yet here I am, joining them.

"You're late, Taylor," Mr. Daughtry says as if used to it.

His words slowly sink in, my head snapping up to see brown hair and the prettiest eyes I have ever encountered in all my life.

I grin, maybe I can endure this after all.

Jay doesn't bother giving any remark back and simply brushes Daughtry aside. He spots me in the front of the classroom and completely ignores me when I wave at him, blocking me out as he walks to the back of the class.

"To the front, Taylor, where I can see you," Daughtry insists, obviously annoyed at Jay's apparent dismissal of him. "Take a seat next to Lawson," he says and points to the open seat beside me, giving my surname away.

Jay glances at me and then back at Daughtry as if looking for a way out of it, however, in the end, he decides not to fight the system. He does as told and reluctantly takes a seat beside me. He doesn't bother to greet me or even look my way, almost as if I don't exist at all in his eyes.

Do I take offense to any of it?

Not at all.

Am I mad?

Hell no!

Did I expect this of him?

You bet I did.

Am I amused by it all?

Hell yeah!

The rebel bonds with me and we end up going to jail together, yet still, he doesn't classify that as friendship. If sharing a cell and being cell mates for a day isn't true friendship then I sure as hell don't know what is.

Then again, he did ask that we part ways. I guess he's living up to his words.

Nonetheless, I stare at him as he keeps his eyes trained solely ahead of him. He's wearing a navy blue button-up shirt and his hair is styled up in it's usual yet attractive messy array. 

He doesn't bother to converse with anyone unlike all the others in here. He's a loner in that way, prefers to keep to himself.

I glance down at my hand briefly, only to find that it's purple and swollen. I have one hell of a right hook. Go me! I am officially an outlaw. Stop in the name of no law!

I can see it now, soon I'll be making headlines: 'Aqueela, the outlaw, to attack again?'

I then remember my new found conquest. I go back to staring at Jay. He has to break at some point or another - they all do.