Chapter 17

Morning came far too fast as her phone chirped out it's fuck awful alarm at 7 am. Begrudgingly, she picked it up and turned it off, stretching and rubbing her eyes. The lure of the snooze button was not for her, the comfort of that extra ten minutes curled up in bed. All those years in the Army had drummed into her the habit that was the early start. In fact, by the Army's standard, 7 AM was a considerable sleep in but she reconciled that with her being on late duties last night and having an early start the morning before.

Yawning noisily, she headed into the bathroom, pulling on that conveniently hung robe and let herself out as quickly as she could. The lure of the pool was calling and she was anxious for the peace and quiet it would give her to ease her still racing mind.

She didn't get her peace because as she left the bathroom, she found, sitting cross-legged on the bed like a fucking pixie, is a grinning Camila Cabello.

"Morning, Lauren," she said brightly, far too brightly for someone who seemed to have knocked back enough booze to float a warship last night.

"Good morning," she replied, picking up her swimsuit and towel. "Can I help you?"

"You can. It's time for my morning run and seeing as you're supposed to be protecting me, that means, it's time for your morning run, too"

Lauren glared at her and held up her swimsuit for her to see. "I was about to hit the pool. I don't really enjoy running."

"You can hit the pool after the run. I normally do. Come on, a quick few miles around the grounds, it'll build up an appetite for breakfast."

She sat down on the bed, resigned to her fate. She never saw Miss Cabello as a runner, least of all a fucking runner who actually wanted to go outside and away from the comfort of a warm gym showing MTV; where she could show off to the buffs who, in turn, were trying to show off lifting weights. Still, she was right; if she was going running in public, then Lauren had to go with her and reluctantly, the raven-haired woman grabbed her gym gear and began to drag it on.

"I should go and, uh, get warmed up," Camila said turning away quickly as Lauren dropped her robe to the floor and pulled on her running gear. She could feel the woman's burning embarrassment as she changed, obviously, not leaving to get warmed up as she said she would, but instead feeling those chocolate eyes flick to her as she struggled with her clothes; taking little glances at her when she thought Lauren wasn't looking.

"Problem, Miss Cabello?" she teased as she pulled on her hooded top over her newly bought sports bra and laced up her fucking expensive running shoes; another 'essential piece of workwear' as Ally had put it. She didn't feel quite so guilty about charging them to the company now. She was using them on works time on the instructions of her employer after all.

"No, Miss Jauregui," she replied her voice guarded. "Apart from the fact that you promised to call me Camila."

"I said I'd think about it; I never said I'd do it."

"Oh." she said chastened as Lauren stood up, "and you never wore the dress I left you last night either."

"It wasn't really my cut, Mis.. Camila. I don't really do backless, or flowing gowns; they're just not me. Besides, as I said, I was working last night. I needed to wear something a bit more practical, just in case."

"Right," she continued, avoiding the brunette's eyes and adjusting her shoes instead; trying to turn the subject away from last night. "I'm ready when you are."

"I'll grab my swimming stuff then," Camila said, "there's a hut next to the pool, we can get changed down there after the run. It'll save wandering backward and forward through the house."