Sorry I slapped you... (Chapter 35)

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Jake raised his eyebrows.

I nodded my head 'yes' nervously. "I have to do this," I said aloud. I wrung my hands together, weaving them in and out. Jake covered my hands with his big sturdy ones and looked into my eyes.

"You don't have to if you're not ready," he assured me.

I took a deep breath. "Trust me, I want to do this."

And I did. I wanted to put dad behind bars, and I wanted him in jail for the rest of his life, so he couldn't hurt me anymore or my family. I wanted to protect my friends. I wanted to feel safe without any doubts in my life. I needed to get rid of dad, once and for all, so no one would feel threatened over his lurking presence.

Jake leaned in and pecked my lips softly once before saying he'd be there for me. "I'll see you inside," he called out to me, heading in the room. "I love you," he added, smirking.

I blushed and looked at the floor, calling out softly. "I love you too."

It had been four months since dad had tried to attack me in the abandoned warehouse. School would be ending in a couple of months. I was really excited for the start of summer because Jake had told his parents about me and when I'd gone and met them, they had fallen in love with me immediately. When they realized my family and I were living alone with really no support, they decided to help us out on the financial end, much to Chase's displeasure. He thought we were acting like total moocher's, taking their money, but Jake's parents eventually convinced him to let them help us out. Jake's family was loaded. His dad was a cardiologist and his mom was an internist.

Jake's parents decided after everything I'd been through, I deserved a break. They bought six plane tickets to Florida and we were going to live in a beach house for the summer. My brother and Liam would come too and for once Liam would get to have a proper vacation. I was so excited.

But before I crossed that road, I needed to get over this one. Along with focusing on school, helping Liam with homework, getting over Ryan, and dating Jake, I had to deal with dad's case. I was a key witness in the case. All of the evidence was based on me or related to me. I needed to be well rehearsed so when the court date (today) came, I'd be ready. I'd practiced with a lawyer and some cops and was ready to fight against my dad and be free.

Now that the day was already here, I was panicking. There was some sort of crazy party raging in my stomach. I felt like I was going to hurl, and I wanted to crawl out of the courthouse. I wasn't even in the actual court room yet. Jake and Chase were here to support me. Liam was with Gramma and Grampa aka Jake's parents.

I was so embarrassed when they had told Liam to call them that. I remember feeling like I was going to pass out of embarrassment. My cheeks had been burning as hot as a fire. Jake actually didn't mind though. I think he secretly enjoyed having his parents get called Gramma and Grandpa because of what it insinuated. He loved watching my cheeks flame everytime Liam called them that ,and Jake's parents thought my blushing habit was 'adorable'.

Geez. "Are you ready to go?" My lawyer placed a hand on my arm and I jumped slightly.

"Oh," I bit my lip. "Sure, I guess."

She shot me a stern look. "Now remember, you have to act seriously and confidently. Keep in mind what we talked about," she reminded.

I nodded my head.

We walked into the court room and my eyes swirled around the enclosed room. It was like a wooden cage. I spotted Jake and Chase almost immediately and relaxed a bit. My lawyer took me to the front of the court room and she shifted through her briefcase while we sat down. Jake and Chase were sitting directly behind us on a bench, separated by a railing. Chase leaned over the railing and whispered into my ear.