Chapter One Hundred "Answers"

I sat there looking from Isaac's eyes to the delicate ring he held, "This is surely a dream," I breathed, "just a lovely dream."

"How can I persuade you that this is not a dream?" he removed the ribbon and then gently slipped the ring on my finger, "Does that feel like a dream?" He pressed a kiss against my fingers.

I stared at my hand even as it trembled. The ring was a simple, elegant gold band but it was the five amethyst stones arranged as a flower that took my breath away. "Another violet?" I managed as tears rolled down my cheeks.

A slight chuckle arose from his lips as he smiled, "Would you expect anything else from me?" All I could do was try to contain everything that I was feeling and stare as my heart leapt against my chest. When I said nothing, Isaac sat up and then moved from the sofa and did his best to kneel despite my attempt to keep him from doing so. "No," he shook his head, "let me do this one thing correctly." He managed to get down on one knee before he took my hand, "There are no secrets between us now, Margaret. I come to you as myself, as Isaac . . . finally," he smiled hopefully, "To ask you to be my wife."

The tears were streaming continually as I tried to stop quivering, "I must look a sight," I said trying to brush away the wetness from my face.

"You're more beautiful now than the day I first met you," he moved a bit closer, letting his free hand caress my cheek, "Please, will you give me an answer?"

The seconds were deafeningly quiet as I stared at him. "Of course she will!" I heard Aunt Cate's voice break the silence. We turned to the hall and there were Lord Edgehill, Thomas, Sarah, Uncle Arthur and Aunt Cate all waiting with baited breath. We both laughed awkwardly as the embarrassment colored our faces. "You know this is what you what," she continued.

"That's enough," Uncle Arthur said moving to pull the doors close, "let them have some privacy!" I saw Lord Edgehill nod reluctantly as he helped my uncle.

Once we were alone again, Isaac's head bowed, "I had hoped for a different reaction." He began to move away, to get to his feet. "I guess . . . I'm too late."

Realizing his meaning, I grabbed him by his shoulders and pressed my lips to his. It began anxious and rough as I was terrified of losing him again. When I felt his arms around me, holding me close against him, I parted to catch my breath and he just smiled, "I would have been happy with yes." He leaned his forehead against mine, kissing me softly.

"Please don't leave me . . . ever again," I begged between kisses.

"I told you once before, that you'll never be rid of me." He smiled as he looked me over. "But I do need you to do one thing for me, Margaret."

I nodded my head quickly, "Anything," I bit my lip waiting for his request.

"Give me an answer," he smiled again taking my hand to bring my attention back to the ring, "Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" I squealed latching my arms around his neck, "Always yes!" Before we could seal another kiss, there was cheering coming from behind the doors. I turned back to him, keeping as close as we could without touching, "Always yes," I whispered.

* * * * *

Uncle Arthur and Aunt Cate insisted that we all stay at least until morning. They went out of their way to make sure that all of their sudden guests were attended to, including fresh changes of clothes and anything else they might require. Aunt Cate came to help me dress before supper, bringing one of her surprises.

"What's this?" I asked as she handed me the box, "I cannot possibly accept any more than you've already done."

"Hush now," she smiled taking the lid, "This is for your love as much as you." I looked inside to see a beautiful purple and cream silk gown.

"Oh, Aunt Cate, I can't . . ."

"The best gift you can give to him, aside from finally saying yes," she explained as she took the gown from the box, "is to look beautiful and happy."

"I am more happy than I have ever been," I smiled as she held the dress in front of me.

She stopped fussing and looked at me sternly, "Margaret, just wear the dress for me then!" We looked at each other for a moment before we both started laughing, "Please, let me do this . . ."

I nodded and let her help me dress. I watched as she bustled back and forth, humming happily to herself. I remembered what Uncle Arthur had told me my first night here and that she always wanted a daughter. I took a deep breath, remembering my mother, vaguely. "This is what it should be like," I mused to myself.

Supper was more like a feast as we all continued to celebrate. I remained within a touch of Isaac and we were under the careful eye of Aunt Cate who seemed quite content with everything. Lord Edgehill and Uncle Arthur ended up laughing and talking together over cigars. I watched as Thomas took special care of Sarah including helping her up the stairs at the end of the evening, something I never thought was possible.

As the evening began to wane and the rest of us sat in the drawing room, I remembered something I needed to know, "How did you find me?"

Isaac smiled as he intertwined his fingers with mine, "How do you think?"

"I don't know," I shook my head, "No one knows I'm here."

"One person does," Lord Edgehill replied. I looked about the room and everyone seemed to have a knowing smile. Then Isaac used my magpie call and I turned to him, "We stopped in Somerset first," his father continued, "We expected you to be there."

"Freddie told you?"

"Would you like to see the letter of introduction he sent?" Uncle Arthur offered.

"Freddie?"

"You seem surprised," Isaac studied me, "Why?"

"He seemed to prefer another option," I stammered looking away from everyone.

"You mean, Percival." I stiffened when Isaac said his name. "Before we left Somerset, he told me that the only thing he's ever wanted was for you to be happy." My body relaxed; that is something that Freddie would say. "Are you happy?"

I smiled, moving closer to kiss him, "Remarkably." Uncle Arthur cleared his throat after a moment. "I am remarkably happy," I giggled.

The next morning our group parted ways. Thomas and Sarah wanted to return to their London home so Uncle Arthur saw them off with one of his carriages. Lord Edgehill, Isaac and myself left for Somerset, promising to return for the Christmas festivities with the rest of our families. I tried to explain that there more waiting at Somerset but that did not seem to matter. Uncle Arthur and Aunt Cate watched as we pulled away, smiling and waving.

Once we were under way and the gentle rocking of the carriage became steady, we all relaxed a bit. "I can't believe I'm going back to Somerset, especially like this."

"Are you worried?" Isaac asked holding my hand, "They are expecting us, I assure you."

"Yes, but there will still be some heart mending to do," I looked down at our hands.

Isaac leaned close to my ear, "I believe he is already aware of your heart." I looked into his eyes and nodded. I had told Percival several times . . . yet there had been a sliver of hope the last time we met.

I tried to clear my head and look forward to those that would be truly happy, "Did you get to see Leah?"

"Leah," Lord Edgehill said narrowing his eyes a bit, "Yes, Miss Woodbridge, about Leah. First of all what have you done with my little girl and more importantly, what exactly is going on with that Mr. Nassar?"