d a y f i v e

"Dude... are you coming today? Its Mason's birthday man." Matt huffed, tired of convincing his best friend to come to the local bar to celebrate their friend's twenty second birthday.

"No bro... I have a lot of work to do." He said as he placed his phone on his broad shoulders and resting his head on it.

"What work?" His friend asked as he raised his eyebrow.

"Mom is going to come over." The blonde boy lied, licking his dry lips as a wave of guilt washed him.

"Right... Your mom is coming. Come on man... It will be fun. Plus it will get your  mind off work." His friend pleaded. He hadn't met his friend in so long. He just wanted to be there for him. But Matt was always pushed away. Everyone was.

"Sorry Matt. I have to pick up Hallie now. And plus I told you, mom is coming home." He sighed in relief. He had just finished doing his laundry.

"How many times are you going to say the same lie to the same person? I'm your best friend. You can't lie to me. I can smell that you are lying." He said playfully. Matt was always cocky, so his best friend could practically feel his smug smile through the phone.

"Really? Smell me through the phone?" He playfully rolled his eyes.

"Yup. Cause you haven't showered in forever!" Matt chuckled.

"And you have?" He asked simply. He knew he had won.

"Touche."  He said in defeat.

"Look man... why don't you pick up your daughter and drop her off at her friend's place or something? We haven't seen you in so long bro." Matt sighed, missing his friend. "Its like.. after..what happened, you have been so distant. I think its time to catch up. Come on, B, its been like four years. And I know it is hard. You are so freaking strong man. But, for our sake, come for this. We miss you." Matt said.

He knew that Matt meant every word. He let a defeated sigh.

"Okay... I guess I'll come. But I have to be back by nine thirty. Hallie needs me when she sleeps. And she needs me to give her the pills." He said, immediately worrying if he was making the right decision. He grabbed his car keys and wore his worn-out jacket.

"What pills?" Matt became concerned.

"I'll let you know later. I have  to pick her up. See you at 7pm at Joey's bar Matt." He said as he put the phone down immediately and shut the front door.

"See ya." Matt mumbled to himself as he shook his head thinking about his overly worried friend.

"Sweetie I'm so sorry I'm late." He said with a small apologetic smile as he saw his little daughter running up to him.

"It's okay Daddy. Plus the teachers were with me... so I was okay." She smiled, kissing her father's cheek before running upto her father's beaten up Corolla.

"I know.. but all your friends had already left. I thought you would be mad at me." He smiled in relief, his dimples slightly showing, as he  watched his daughter reach out to cup his cheeks with her small hands.

"I would never be mad at you." She said softly.

She is so much like her, he  thought.

Shaking the nostalgia away, he buckled her up in the back seat before running to the driver's seat.

"Hey Hallie?" He asked as he watched her play with her hair through the rear view mirror.

"Yeah?" She asked, as her eyes perked up hearing her father's voice.