Father and Son Pt. 2

Friday December 19th

Simon looked at his watch and shook his head as he realised he had to hurry. He needed to get to the school and pick Josh up in less than half an hour after his football practice at school. Harry and Tobi had already got the school bus and Ethan was home with JJ after spending a sleepless night with a tummy ache. He walked out of the building he'd had a meeting in with some big shots about ideas to make his summer camp even bigger. Callux and Deji were busy helping him with the project too.

"Well, lads, I'm going to pick up the kid. You guys might as well make it an early day as well."

"Cheers Si, I can't think of a better way I'd rather spend my day than working for you." Cal said with a cheeky grin.

"No better way Cal? Perhaps you should stay behind and do more work," Simon suggested.

"Actually something this very second has just come up!"

"I thought it would Cal, see you in the morning."

"See ya, Simon," Deji said.

"Bye Deji," Simon said, grabbing his jacket from the hook.

"Drive carefully, bro, there's a lot of snow down already," Deji warned. In a rare occurrence, it seemed they would be celebrating a white Christmas for once. It had snowed heavily that day and the night before, and looked set to continue.

"I will, Deji, you boys do the same." With those words the blond hurried to the stairwell and exited the building.

...

Josh stood in the doorway and watched as the familiar black car drove into the school car park. The snow continued to fall, but he was wrapped up warmly in his winter coat, hat and gloves. His backpack was beside him and he smiled as his teacher fixed his beanie.

"Thank you Miss Lincoln," the boy said as his dad pulled to a stop in front of the doors.

"You're welcome, Josh."

"Hi Josh, Miss Lincoln."

"Hi Dad," the child said as Simon walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Hello, Mr. Minter."

"Sorry I'm late. The roads are bad and the salt trucks are only just making their rounds so please drive carefully."

"I will Mr. Minter. Josh, I'll see you on Monday."

"Okay, Miss Lincoln."

He followed his dad to the car. "How was football practice?" the man asked.

"Good. I didn't score any goals though."

Simon smiled. "That doesn't matter. You always play your best. Why don't we stop off and pick up McDonalds for dinner Josh?"

"Can we really?" the child asked, gripping Simon's hand in his own.

"Sure, I'll call and let Papa know."

"Okay," Josh said as they reached the car. He used his left hand to grab some snow off the bonnet and threw it at the man.

"Hey!" the blond laughed and ducked as more snow was fired towards him. He grabbed a handful of snow and threw it at Josh as he ran around the back of the car.

"Missed me!" Josh laughed, ducking as Simon lobbed one over the top of the vehicle.

"I won't again!" Simon said, rounding the front of the car and throwing a handful of snow at the child. He smiled as he advanced on the boy's position, but sputtered as a handful of the powdery snow hit him in the face.