Chapter 41: Laketown

(3rd Person POV)

"The money quick. Give it to me" Bard demanded as Arulla whipped her head around to glare at the man. The bardgeman's hand was outstretched, palm shaking with impatience, towards Balin.

Thorin growled under his breath,  "We will pay you when we get our provisions but not before." He glared into the lakeman's eyes, standing sightly in front of Arulla as he did so.

"If you value your freedom you'll do as I say." Bard replied with urgency, "There are guards ahead."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Shh, what's he doing?" Dwalin barked in a whisper to Bilbo of whom was peeping out from a hole in his barrel.

"He's talking to someone." The hobbit replied. "And he's...pointing right at us!" He exclaimed, continuing his observation and grew more worrisome as it continued.

"Now they're shaking hands."

"What?" Thorin said anxiously as Arulla was clutched tighter to his chest.

"That villain! He's selling us out." Dwalin growled.

Arulla then took that moment to look up when she heard a 'clank'.

"Oh s-"

And suddenly it was raining fish.

"Ooh Gods" Arulla moaned as the pungent smell was forever ingrained into her senses, then the boat began to move

Arulla moaned again and Thorin tried to comfort her in the very tight quarters.

Then there was a kick to their barrel

"Quiet!" Bard growled. "We are approaching the toll gate."

"Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please." A jovial man cried out. "Oh, it's you, Bard."

"Morning, Percy." Bard said with a kind smile.

"Anything to declare?" Percy replied as he took Bard's paper stack.

"Nothing, but that I am cold and tired, and ready for home."

Percy chuckles "You and me both."

"Here we are. All in order." The gatekeeper rumbled

"Not. So. Fast." A sniveling voice said as he snatched away the papers from the gatekeepers hands.

"Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only, they're not empty, are they, Bard?" The man continued as guards stood beside him

"What's happening?" Arulla whispered to Thorin.

"Shh."

"If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman" The man growled as he took a fish from the top of the barrel next to him and waved it in Bard's face.

"That's none of your business." Bard whispered hoarsely.

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business." the man snapped back

"Oh come on, Alfrid, have a heart. People need to eat!" Bard begged.

"These fish are illegal." the man, Alfrid, exclaimed, "Empty the barrels over the side."

"You heard him. Into the canal. Come on, get a move on." the captain soldier, Braga, ordered.

When Thorin and Arulla's barrel begin to tip and fish began to pour out, Arulla clung tighter to her father while clinging to the only hidden dagger she had left. Ready for anything.

"Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce." Bard pleaded.

"That's not my problem" Alfrid replied.

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake, when the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?" Bard continued, giving Alfrid a meaningful stare, daring him to doubt his words.

Finally Alfrid gives in, "Stop."

And Arulla and Thorin's barrel is saved from exposure and the father clings tight to his child.

"Ever the people's champion, eh, Bard? Protector of the common folk? You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last." Alfrid sneers as he walks away. Bard exhales in relief

"Raise the gate!"

And Bard begins to pull his bardge through the narrow ravines of the town.

"The Master has his eye on you" Alfrid stomps back to the pier, "You'd do well to remember. We know where you live."

"It's a small town Alfrid. Everyone knows where everyone lives." Bard snarks back and continues on moving.

As Bard docks his barge and looks to be sure the coast is clear, he knocks over one of the barrels, and a dwarf falls out along with a pile of fish.

As he moves to another barrel-

"Get your hands off me." Dwalin growls

Thorin pops up first from his shared barrel, quickly getting out to turn around and help his younger charge out of the smelling barrel, looking her over as he sets her down.

"Follow me." Bard orders

"What is this place?" Bilbo asks as Thorin walks up beside him.

"This. Master Baggins is the world of Men." The leader says as he grabs Arulla's hand and drags her behind him protecting her view with his body.

And with that they entered the world that was Laketown.

______________________________
I am SO SO SO SO sorry. I apologize to the infinite of apologies. I never meant to take so long to update one chapter. I cannot promise that the next one will be sooner or later because my life is getting busier and busier by the second.

I can promise you that I will never give up on this story. This story will eventually have an ending whether happy or sad. I might not be the most faithful of updaters regarding time. But I will be faithful in updating.

Please stay with me guys.

You haven't seen the last of me

Thanks
-TC110
P.S. Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄