Chapter 1: Traumatic Train Ride

I sat alone in my compartment of the Hogwarts Express, drawn to a group of people conversing in the compartment across from me. From what I could hear, they were talking about the supposed mass-murderer known as Sirius Black, who had just escaped from Azkaban Prison. They were talking in low, urgent whispers.

There are some days when I wonder what would have happened if I'd never gotten involved with these people. My life would probably be different.

On the other hand, my destiny probably would not have come into view. I think my destiny was meant to clash with them in some way. To this day, it is still unclear to me.

It may never be clear.

"Let me get this straight," says the tall red-headed boy named Ron. "Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban to come after you?"

"Yeah," replies the skinny black haired boy named Harry. He pushes his circular spectacles into place and runs his fingers through his midnight colored hair, pushing his bangs out of the way, revealing the legendary scar on his forehead.

"But, they'll catch Black, won't they?" asks the curly dark brown haired girl named Hermione. Her bright hazel eyes are staring worriedly at Harry.

I knew of her. She and I were sort of acquaintances. We had met over the summer and had formed some sort of bond. Not like a super-close BFF bond. Just---what one might call---a casual relationship.

"I mean, everyone's looking for him," she continues.

"Sure," says Ron, "except, no one's ever broken out of Azkaban before and...he's a murderous raging lunatic."

"Thanks, Ron," says Harry sarcastically. "That helps out a lot." I laughed quietly to myself.

I flew forward as the train suddenly halted, its brakes screaming down the metal tracks. My luggage that was hanging up on the shelf crashed down, burying me in a flash of black and blue fabric. The zipper from my handbag caught my hair, yanking out a huge lock while another suitcase landed directly on my head, knocking me to the ground. I heard my compartment door open and the sound of footsteps approaching me.

"Why are we stopping?" I heard Hermione ask. "We can't be there, yet."

"Are you alright?" I heard a new voice ask me. I tried to respond, but another powerful spasm shook the train.

"What's going on?" I heard Ron cry out from the other compartment. I refocused my vision to find Harry leading me to his compartment. Once I was sitting down again, I heard Harry speak.

"Dunno," he replied. "Maybe we've broken down."

The hallway lights began to flicker violently. A couple of soft pops at the end of the hallway could be heard as several lights exploded and showered sparks on the carpeted floor. The compartment lights began going out within seconds of each other.

Click...click...click.

Our light finally went out.

"Ouch!" Hermione cried. "Ron, that was my foot."

Darkness crept along my skin, making the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stand on end. Goose bumps trickled up my spine and I shivered, which was strangely odd.

Ron pressed his hand against the window and whispered, "There's...there's something moving out there."

The whole room was suddenly ice cold. Frost began forming on the windows and outlined the handprint Ron had left behind. Our breath was visible in the darkness, my hands were numb, and Hermione's lips turned dark blue along with Ron's and Harry's. I rubbed my hands together frantically, trying to warm up, but it didn't seem to be doing any good.