Chapter 16

I stared at the walker, almost confused. It couldn't be May, I shot her in the head, it couldn't be her.

But it was.

I couldn't think, my world froze or maybe just me. My heart was racing as I stared at the woman I once called my sister, now a walker. I flicked open the pocket knife and walked towards her, and when she noticed me she started heading towards me. I aimed the crossbow and shot her in the mouth causing her to fall back. I walked up to her and stabbed the knife into one of her hands, it went through and held her hand to the ground. The arrow had broken the jaw and I held her other hand down with the bottom of my boot. Her once beautiful blonde hair was now a mess and her hazel eyes now cloudy.

I pressed my hand to her forehead and kept her head on the ground, then searched the side of her head. I saw a small hole on the side of her head, a bullet hole. It was too far from the temple meaning it wasn't a direct hit to the brain. I looked into her cloudy eyes and still holding her head to the ground, pulled out the arrow. "This is my fault, sister." I stabbed her in the forehead and dug the arrow in as the body went lifeless. I slowly stood up, bloody arrow in hand, and pulled the knife from her hand.

The rest of the night was silent, but I could feel Daryl's eyes on me. "If you have something to say, say it." I said, listening out for more walkers. "Who was she?" I lowered my head and looked down at her ring still on my finger. "One of my sisters, she was deaf, so I watched out for her." I looked over at him and he nodded. "She was lucky ta have ya." I scoffed and looked back towards the road. "She should have been with Diana." I moved from the house as I heard another walker. I aimed and blinked, then released. The arrow flew straight and pierced the walker, I walked over and pulled it out then headed back. "Ya could use more practice with the crossbow." Daryl said after we sat in silence for awhile. I looked over at him as he loaded the crossbow and aimed it towards more moaning, killing the walker.

Morning came and we were back on the road, we had loaded Daryl's bike into the back of the pickup with mine, and we drove it along with Beth. T-dog and Carol were in the jeep and Maggie and Glenn were in the van, while Rick, Lori, Carl, and Hershel were in the green suburban. We had plotted points on a map that we found about certain hordes of walkers and towns that we could hit.

As we came across one of the towns, me and Daryl took the bikes down and drove into town ahead of the cars. A gas station nearby was clear and wasn't dried up. We took the gas containers from the trunk of Rick's car and filled them up, then we filled up each of the vehicles. I took Maggie and Carol into the station, and we split up in order to make sure it was clear. When we had searched the small station, we went down the rows and grabbed water along with food. We also grabbed toiletries and spilt the items up, and placed them into our bags. We hopped back into our vehicles, Maggie and Glenn now in the pickup since me and Daryl were on bikes.

We left the town and came to a clearing, where we stopped for the day. Daryl went to talk with Rick and I was about to leave, but Daryl called me over. "We're going out ta hunt, ya comin?" I nodded and walked over to him and Rick.

We followed a train track, staying alert just in case. "Well, that's a damn shame." Daryl said as we came across a prison with high walls. The courtyard was swarming with walkers. "Not really." I pointed out what we could do in order to be able to use this place to our advantage. Rick agreed and he went back to grab the group, and the vehicles. "This place could last awhile, if we clear out the inside, maybe fix up the fences." I turned to Daryl, who nodded and walked off. I heard moaning and quickly turned to see a walker, my bow was up in an instant. I then lowered my bow and pulled out my knife.

I jabbed my knife into the walker's head and watched it fall to the ground. I then pressing my boot to its head, crushing the skull. I pressed my back to a nearby tree and watched the train track, waiting for the group to show up sometime soon. "What's botherin ya, woman?" I turned to see Daryl looking down at the walker. "I'm fine." He scoffed and walked towards the prison fence. "Like hell ya are." I rolled my eyes. "What do you care?" I hissed and fidgeted with the knife. "Tryin not to get this group killed!" He growled. I looked up into the fierce, blue eyes. "You think I'm putting them in danger?!?" Anger flowed through me as the words left my mouth. "Never said that." He stated and loaded his bow. "Oh, but you implied it." I hissed. "Ya been messed up ever since ya saw ya dead sister, can't blame me!" He growled, and I balled my fists. "Because it was my fucking fault she died! So why don't you just piss off Daryl!" I snapped and left him near the fence, as I wondered into the woods to clear my head as the sound of cars approaching came from behind me.

"Hey." Maggie said softly as she approached me after an hour of me trying to blow off steam. "Come sit with us, not many people are awake still, just some of the girls." She watched me climb down from the tree and follow her back. We went through a part in the fence and reached the small fire someone had built in the courtyard.

Lori, Beth, Carol, Maggie, and me all sat around the fire still, letting it heat our cold skin. I saw a black figure on top of a bus and immediately looked at the fire. "How do you feel, Lori?" Carol asked as Lori moved to get comfortable. "As good as someone bearing a child can feel." We all chuckled and watched the fire. "One day, each of you girls will start a family, and you'll be feeling this way too." Maggie gave a small chuckle. "I guess maybe a small boy or girl would be nice to take care of someday." Maggie's face lit up some as a small smile spread across her face. "I think a girl would be better." Beth said. "With boys, you have the stench." We chuckled and small smiles covered our faces. "I have to say though, having boys ain't all that bad." Lori said. "I think I have to agree with Beth though, having a small girl around is much better." Carol said. "What about you Scarlett? Ever think about having kids?" Maggie asked.

I looked down at the fire as it blazed on, its soft light lighting up their faces with a orange glow. "Once, not anymore." They all turned to look at me, curiously. "Why?" Beth asked. "Because it's not possible." I answered and pulled my jacket closer to my body. "You can't have kids." Lori said softly. I watched their sympathetic eyes look into my dull, green eyes. "Umm yea." I said hesitantly. "Mind if I ask you how you found this out?" Lori asked carefully. "When I was...um raped, a bunch of shit happened and they felt that it was a weakness for me to have kids, so they did what they could to stop it." I looked at their sympathetic faces and Carol placed a hand in my knee. "And your okay with this?" I opened my mouth to speak, but snapped it shut. "Scarlett?" Beth's sweet voice spoke out. "Have been for awhile." I quickly stood up, looking down at them. "Listen, it doesn't matter, things won't just magically change ." My voice sounded shaky and it caught me off guard. Thoughts and memories brought me back to the truth. I silently walked away from them and passed the bus, I saw blue eyes looking down at me as I walked by and I tried my best to ignore them.

"Scarlett. Why didn't you tell me?" Maggie said, jogging up, I rolled my eyes and walked away. "Come on Scarlett, do you really not care?" She said softly. "It's been awhile, and honestly I try not to think about it." I said walking towards the fence and looking out. "What about now?" She asked and I turned to face her. My eyes glanced to the bus, where the owner of the blue eyes sat, and then to Maggie. She noticed and turned towards the bus, then turned back to me and smiled. Suddenly, she bolted off and I chased after her, being skilled in agility, I was much faster and caught up to her, but she had already ran into the bus. As I entered, I froze. "Hey Daryl." She said, and looked at me. She was standing on the tops of benches and looking out of the emergency exit on top of the bus. "What da ya want?" He grumbled and for some reason I smiled at the sound of his rough voice.