Father and Son Pt. 6

I know I said Vik's backstory was up next but this was done first so I thought I might as well put it up. Don't worry, Vik will definitely be next!

Warning: scenes of torture

JJ looked up from the computer as the door opened and Callux entered. The man dusted the snow off his boots before removing them.

"Coffee's hot," JJ called as he hung up his coat.

"Did you make it?" Cal asked.

"Well, it wasn't Harry!" the tired man snapped, apologising immediately as he realised what he'd said.

"Where the kids?" Cal asked.

"They're still sleeping. I called Zoe and asked if she could come out and keep an eye on them while we search for Simon and Josh, even though Tobi was trying to persuade me he was old enough to look after them on his own" JJ explained.

"I take it there's still no word?" Cal said as he walked towards the kitchen, a statement rather than a question.

"Nothing. Not a fucking thing since Deji called. Where is he anyway?"

"He's trying to see what he can find out at the scene. Police were very thorough and what little evidence they found is probably at the lab, but you know Deji, likes to do stuff his own way."

"Grew up with him didn't I? As much as I hate to admit it he always was good at picking out tiny details," JJ said as Cal returned with two cups of coffee.

"So, Zoe is coming over?" the older man asked.

"Yeah, she should be here sometime around lunch." He turned to the door as a boy in pyjamas entered the room, one hand clutched tightly to an old blue cat which had been Josh's first toy from Simon, while the other rubbed at his eyes.

"Papa," the boy said through a wide yawn.

"Hey kiddo, I thought you were still sleeping." JJ quickly pulled the ten year old into his arms and hugged him as he ruffled the chestnut brown hair.

"I was, but I couldn't sleep for long without Josh. It's not the same."

"I know it isn't..."

"Where is he?"

"I don't know right now Ethan, but we're going to find him," the man looked up at his friend and could see the truth in those words mirrored in his eyes. One way or the other they would work together until Simon and Josh were home where they belonged.

...

Josh sat on the floor, his hands wrapped tightly around his knees as he rocked back and forth. His gaze remained fixed on the bound man, his words repeating like a broken record in the quiet room.

"I don't know...I don't know...I don't know..."

"Look at me, Josh," Marshall tried as Greg moved towards the battered form with a bucket of water in his hands.

"I don't know...I don't know...I don't know..."

"Yes, you do son, and if you don't think really fast your father is going to suffer some more..."

"I don't know...I don't know...I don't know..."

"Wake him," Marshall ordered as Linden pulled back the bucket and sent the freezing water into Simon's face. A loud moan escaped from their prisoner and Liam smiled as he got the reaction he wanted from the boy.

"No! Dad! Please don't...no more..."

"You can stop it Josh, but you have to answer my question. Where is the journal?"