LVI - Sets You Right

Chapter Fifty-Six

Thor and Loki went back to Asgard. Neither of them had really wanted to go back, but Sif and the Warriors Three begged them to. Seline had asked them to as well, saying that it would be easier to make the decision of who would rule over Asgard if the two of them were actually in their kingdom.

Their future plans were still very much unclear.

Thor and Loki had very different ways of grieving for their father. Thor was closer to him, and thus more emotional, but still rational. Loki was saddened, but he did not cry for Odin. Not that anyone really expected him to.

The Warriors Three and Sif left them alone for a mere three days, but then they finally had to ask the question that had been lurking in everyone's minds.

"Thor, Loki," Sif said as the four of them burst into the room that the brothers had been occupying. "We must know."

Loki had a hand at his head, leaning his skull against it while he massaged his aching temple. Being in his old clothing and old home made him relax a little, but his mind was filled with pain whenever he thought of either of his parents. He always missed Frigga. She was usually in the back of his mind, especially around holidays or her birthday, and always around the anniversary of her death. Odin, however, he had a much more turbulent relationship with. Even so, he did not wish death on the man.

"What is it?" Loki asked, though all of them knew exactly what the question would be.

Too bad neither of them had an answer.

"One of you must ascend the throne. Which of you will it be?" Fandral asked, his patience quite clearly wearing thin.

"Loki shall have it," Thor said almost immediately.

It seemed that one of them had an answer. Just not the one that anyone in the room would ever expect.

Everyone, including Loki, looked at him in surprise. There had been a time when both brothers had wanted the throne. For a while, it had seemed like Thor had wanted nothing more than to keep the throne away from Loki. And now, he was speaking of turning away from it entirely.

Loki was the most startled. "But Thor, you are-"

"I have made my decision," he said, then left the room and went to the stairs. None of them followed after him immediately.

Loki blinked a few times, then turned to the Warriors Three and Sif. "He... He simply needs to have a clear mind for this decision. We need more time."

He used his magic to teleport in front of Thor, who didn't seem like he was planning on stopping.

"Thor, you need to tell me what is going on," Loki said, a hint of irritation in his voice while he almost ran to catch up with him. "I cannot read your mind."

Thor didn't answer for a while. Loki watched him closely and saw his expression. He didn't look angry, or sad, just... Tired.

When he still didn't answer, Loki felt his frustration hit its peak.

"Fine," he growled, then slammed his palm against the wall. A shield suddenly encased them, like a sheer cube made of green light.

It didn't take Thor very long to realize that the shield would shock him if he touched it. He didn't try to do so.

Thor looked to Loki, a flash of anger in his eyes. "Loki, leave me be."

"No. Not until you tell me why you do not want the throne. Years ago you would have done anything to have it, and now you turn your back on our people when you know that you are the only one out of the two of us who is fit to rule. Why?"

"I am not turning my back on them!" he shouted back at Loki.

He instantly regretted snapping at his brother, and his frustrated expression fell. Thor let out an exasperated sigh and crossed his arms over his chest, then shook his head while he looked at the ground.

"Loki, I cannot take the throne. Earth needs me. They need the Avengers," he explained.

His voice was weak now. He clearly regretted not being able to help his people, but his devotion to Earth was preventing him from wanting to be the ruler of Asgard. He couldn't choose.

Loki didn't know what to say to him. At least, he didn't know what he could say that could clearly convey how he felt. Loki had murdered so many Midgardians. He had hurt even more. He had tried to rule over them and take power, and where had it gotten him? The Asgardians hated him. Would they really accept him as a king?

No, of course not.

"Thor, I cannot rule over Asgard."

Thor was quiet again, and Loki felt a pang in is heart. He hadn't expected Thor to disagree, but not hearing him argue still pained him a little.

"Yes, you can. But not without Seline," Thor started. "I have witnessed what she does to you, brother. She sets you right. Your mind is chaotic without her, like a hurricane swells within your skull. She calms you."

Loki's hands curled into fists, then unclenched themselves again. He had thought of it, of course. What it would be like to have her by his side for the rest of his life.

"What exactly are you suggesting? That I rush back to Midgard and ask for her hand? I doubt that she would say yes, Thor."

"No," Thor said, taking a step towards his brother and looking him in the eyes. "I am suggesting you rush back to Midgard and tell her just how much you love her, then allow her to make her own choice."

"She will be leaving Jordan, the Avengers, everything behind. That, and she would be in control of a kingdom. That is too much. I would never ask such a thing of her."

"If she truly loves you, she will love our people as much as you or I. In fact, I believe she already does," Thor argued.

"What about her companions?"

"Heimdall will allow them to visit."

Loki blinked in reply. "You have thought all of this through, haven't you?"

Thor nodded, and then the smallest of smiles came onto his face. "Yes. Now, go back to Midgard. And make Seline Volkov your Queen."