- 47 -

“Where have you been?” Jamie demands to know as soon as I walk through the door.

“I am so sorry,” I tell her, dropping my keys on the table in the foyer. “I’m innocent, I swear.”

“I’m listening,” she says, arms crossed as I explained my story.

Basically last night after things with Adam went a bit too far, we sat down to watch the remaining two movies that we hadn’t seen yet, but we ended up making out for half of The Notebook anyway so it was really pointless to even try to pay attention. During the second half, I fell asleep on his lap and when I woke up we were both still lying on his couch. He was asleep so I left him a note thanking him for the evening and sped home as quickly as possible, knowing that Jamie would react this way.

“I was at a friend’s last night and we watched movies and I fell asleep,” I sum up easily, skipping the details about my scandalous behavior.

“What friend?” she presses.

“My friend Adam,” I admit.

“Adam….Adam….I don’t recall an Adam. How come Adam was never mentioned to me? And Adam is a boy’s name, yes? So you stayed the night at a boy’s house, one whom I have never met before or even heard a word about, and you want me to let you off the hook?”

I roll my eyes. “Jamie, I’m sorry. It was an accident. I never intended to spend the night. And besides, I have a boyfriend. What kind of person do you think I am?” I ask. If only she knew.

“You’re right to some degree, but you should have told me. And if Adam is just a friend, how is it that you’ve never brought him up?” she asks knowingly.

“I don’t know. He just never came up.”

“Is that the truth? Or is it that you never mentioned him because he is actually more than just a friend, and you don’t want word to get back to Harry?”

She knows me too well. It’s annoying.

“That’s insane!” I defend. She raises an eyebrow.

“If you fess up, I’m not going to tell him,” she assures me.

“There’s nothing to fess up to! I’m not cheating on Harry! I love him and we’ve been through a lot together, and I can’t believe that you would accuse me of being the type of person to cheat on her boyfriend! I’m not a monster! Adam is just a friend and I accidentally fell asleep! It was an accident, okay?! It was all…just an accident…” I ran out of steam as Jamie stared at me expressionless.

“What is going on?” she asks. I released a sigh as she took a seat on the couch in the living room. She patted the spot next to her and I gave in.

“I kissed him,” I admit. “I screwed up. And now Harry is going to hate me.”