9 - Golden Dragon Academy

Yulrir's POV

The Golden Dragon Academy is located in Kercias City which is one of the largest city in the kingdom. It is six cities away from our hometown. It took us three full days because we took our time and traveled via carriage. My mother, Yulier, along with two of our clan's best warrior accompanied me throughout the travel and while on it, she also imparted me some basic knowledge that I can use of when I get to the academy. The trip is worthwhile and I did get spoiled by my mom throughout the travel. It is definitely worth it.

It was already night time when we arrived at Kercias City, we rented a room in a hotel near the academy's district for the night. Tomorrow will be the day when the Golden Dragon Academy's entrance exam starts. Even if you have the wealth, it is not that easy to enter the academy because they filter each of the possible candidates and made sure they are one of the cream-of-the-crop. We all slept early that night so we can also wake up early tomorrow.

The night passed by and the sun had shone. We went to take a breakfast before we set ourselves to the academy. I tried to not stand out that much but it seems like me wearing a mask attracts so much attention from the people outside. It wasn't anything new so I ignored their weird stares while my mother can't help to get worried whenever they do so.

We arrived in front of the gate of the Golden Dragon Academy. There are a lot of people waiting as well. There are also a lot of carriages and some mount-type magical beasts spread throughout the area. The academy is a lot of time bigger than our own clan manor and it somehow gives off a domineering aura. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. My mother sent me off and did not go further than beyond the gates.

"Goodluck Riri." My mother kissed my forehead.

"I'll not let you down mother." I nodded and went to the registration hall.

Looking around, you can see a lot of young candidates like me but the difference is that it seems like they are all Alphas. I've been feeling a lot of stares coming from different corners that made me feel annoyed and uncomfortable.

"Look... that young man on the mask... he seems like a beta." a guy not exactly far from me muttered.

"Yeah, what is he doing in here? Is his family nuts to send a beta to this school? hahhahaha" the other one laughed in response.

Clenching my fist, I ignored their conversation and proceeded walking towards the testing hall. In this world, Alphas are always placed on top of the pyramid. They usually have arrogance in their air and always look down on someone of not their own status. I've actually known that this will happen sooner or later, my mother especially briefed me on how unequal the status outside and even told me to always take extra precautions because alphas tend to be so aggressive. In a first-class academy like this, Alphas are the one who usually excels and enrolls while Betas can only dream to attend a second-rate school to avoid the discrimination. As for now, with my mask on, I am classified as a beta.

"Good morning candidates!" A guy who looked like around its prime 40's shouted cheerfully on the hall. The guy is emitting a calm aura but you can still recognize that he is an alpha. Everyone turned around towards to where the guy is standing at. Smiling he continued, "My name is Logan, an elder of this academy. I'll be one of the test instructors for this trial." He paused for a while and looked around, with a clap in his hand, he continued with his speech... "Okay! Let's not beat around the bush and start the first trial".

Beside him, there is a black ball of a size of a basketball hovering over a golden stand with mysterious patterns. "This is a Mirrorball, it is an artifact that determines your warrior cultivation rank and if you possess a mana pool, it'll also determine how strong is your magic art rank. If we call out your name, please come onto the stage." The elder calmly instructed.

Hearing it... I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.