CHAPTER XXI

KATHERINE EVY JONES (1 DAY LATER)

"Is there no way you are going to tell me where you have been?" Ace kept pestering me.

"No," I reply offhandedly and scan through Kyle's almanac, checking for his homework. Though I know Kyle would have already done his homework but it's good to be sure, sometimes he just gets... carried away in his findings.

"You aren't even letting me track you," Ace pouted (adorably) and grumbled some profanities. 

"No, I am not. And Ace Kingman, this matter is really really personal, okay?" I explain him and then ask with my puppy dog face, "Please don't get me tracked. It's better that way,"

Something in my voice and expression may have made him change him mind of nagging me further as he shut up immediately. I sighed and then ran a hand through my hair. A few moments later, Ace pried my hands away from my hair and instead ran his hands through my hair, gently. It was oddly comforting and peaceful. 

I was already getting sleepy until suddenly him mother, Cassandra entered the room with Kyle following behind her. He ran in my arms and exclaimed, "Mommy! Grandma is so fun!"

I chuckled and replied, "I am sure she is, honey," Then turning to Cassandra, I thanked her, "Cassandra, thank you so much for taking care of Kyle, it's been of great help,"

She smiled at me and replied, "Come on, sweetie! Everyone deserves a break!" Her eyes followed Ace's hand which was still in my hair, brushing them slightly. Her eyes lit up instantaneously and she strutted out like a small teenage girl whose crush had just done something sweet.

I look as Ace wordlessly, who just shrugged in reply. Then Ace turned to Kyle and said, "So young man, your teacher says that you study too much,"

Kyle rolled his eyes and answered, quite intelligently, "Knowledge is too vast, whatever I read and study is too less for me!"

Ace frowned and then asked, "Do you want to go to a pizza place or something?"

"No, no," Kyle replied shaking his head and then got up to get a book from his rack. 

I ran my hand through his hair and then said, "Fine, we will leave you to your reading,"

I pulled Ace up from Kyle's bed, kissed him (Kyle, not Ace) goodnight and smiled at him. Ace did the same as we exited the room.

***

"Katherine," Ace asked while I was getting ready for bed.

"Huh?" I asked him, getting the makeup off my face.

"I was wondering," he started nervously, "That...maybe you wanted... to start over?"

I looked at him and asked with a small frown, "Why the sudden thought?"

"Just..." he drawled on uncertainly, "Just a sudden thought,"

"It's been nagging you for a while, hasn't it?" I asked smiling slightly, turning back to the mirror.

Ace was silent for sometime until he finally sighed and replied, "yes, it has,"

Still dabbing my face with the wet cloth, I thought about starting over. It would certainly be good for both of us to start over and give... us a chance again. But once someone betrays you, you cannot just leave the thought behind and think of starting over, but something in Ace tells me that the then him and now him have a lot of differences, he sure as hell changed.

While I was still lost in my reverie, I hadn't noticed Ace come up and stand beside me. His hands slowly traced the outline of my shoulders and dragging them up to  my shoulder blades, then to my collar bones, gently massaging them.

I looked into his eyes through the mirror, they were ardent with something... something strong but not... not lust. It was something much gentler than that. Looking at both us now, in the mirror. I think we perfectly fit together. Call me quixotic or Utopian, but I have been lying to myself from a lot of days, since I have met Ace to be exact.

I did feel the liking, though not love, when I talk to him, smile at him etc. Those feelings haven't faded away. But then again, so also hasn't the hurting feeling of abandonment, of betrayal.  

It feels like walking on the world's edge, when I agree to him with a small and breathless, "Yes."

But then again, in the end, we will only regret the chances we didn't take, relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make. 

As that thought passed my head, 

I made a choice.

A choice that may be my salvation,

or my ruin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CHAPTER IS SHORT? I KNOW. BUT LEMME TELL YOU MY STORY.

1. MY EXAM GOES EXTREMELY WELL.

2. I COME HOME, ECSTATIC.WRITE A CHAPTER OF 1300 WORDS.

3. BUT SOMEHOW IT GETS DELETED.

4. AND I AM LIKE - SO RUINED.

SO YES, PLEASE UNDERSTAND MY SITUATION. SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAP.

ANYWAYS THANKS FOR READING.