Father and Son Pt. 8

I'm sorry Josh, was all Simon had time to think before he felt the bullet rip its way through his flesh. He had no time to wonder about the damage it caused as Marshall drew back on the trigger as a cry of rage sounded above him. It took a while to realise the second bullet hadn't reached its correct target, but he could not understand why as darkness reached out to him. He fought against the mesmerising pull as he watched the events unfolding before him. As if from a distance he heard Cal's cries of rage and smiled as he realised the meaning of his friend's presence. It meant Josh had made it and the young boy had once more showed his resourcefulness.

Breathing was becoming more of a chore as he looked down at the blossoming red stain on his body. He coughed and tasted blood and opened his eyes when a hand touched against his shoulder. He looked up into Cal's face and tried to smile.

"Josh?" he managed as the other man tore a piece from his shirt and balled it up before pressing it against the wound in his chest.

"Kid's fine. He's with JJ. You however definitely need the hospital." Simon almost laughed. He didn't think it was possible for Cal to have become any paler.

"Tell...tell Josh he did good," Simon said, moaning as the pain in his chest was amplified even as Cal spoke to him. Simon felt the cold as it worked its icy fingers into his body. His mind was all too aware of the warm blood that ran from the bullet wound and the cold breath of death looming over his right shoulder. He frowned as he watched Cal's mouth moving and wondered at the fear he saw on the face.

"N...not afraid, Cal...not afraid..."

"Simon don't you...Look I need an ambulance...damn it! No! I need it now! My friend's life..."

...

JJ heard a second shot and saw the fear he felt written on the boy's face as tears flowed freely from the hazel eyes.

"It's okay Josh," JJ said, wanting more than anything to rush into the house. There was no way he could do that. Not with the distraught child in his arms. No matter how much he wanted to rush to his boyfriend.

"Dad...Papa...help him. P...please help him."

"Shh kiddo. Do you trust Uncle Cal?"

"Yes..."

"Then we need to let him handle Dad..."

"Go help him."

"I can't leave you here alone Josh. Your Dad would never forgive me if I let anything happen to you. I would never forgive myself. Deji and the police will be here soon and they'll help us."

"But they hurt Dad...hurt 'im bad. I saw 'em do it."

"I know you did Josh and we'll make sure they pay for it," JJ vowed as the child dissolved into tears and leaned heavily against him. Make sure they pay for what they've done.

...

Cal dropped the phone as he continued to put pressure on the wound to Simon's chest. The blond had lost consciousness just as the call to 999 assured him the air ambulance was on route. He knew JJ and Josh were probably worried out of their minds, but right now he had to concentrate on the life that seemed to be deteriorating with every drop of blood that left the body.

"Don't you do this to that boy Simon! He's lost enough in his life without losing you too!" Cal warned as tears escaped his eyes.

...

JJ shifted uncomfortably and tried to see into the yard where Cal had disappeared nearly fifteen minutes ago. The sound of his own breathing seemed deafening, yet he knew it was only his imagination. The boy he held trembled uncontrollably and he prayed Cal would come out and give them some news. Minutes ticked by and still there was no sign of movement. He looked at his watch, amazed at how much time had passed as Josh lifted his head.