Thirty-Nine

Hey you. Yeah you! Please vote, regardless of whether you've read it on Radish, or are reading it now. It helps me out more than you could know! And if you're feeling generous, why not even go back and vote for the ones you've missed ;)

"I can't escape, I love you 'til the end"

"Hello?" I hear from the entrance of my house, indicating that my new assistant, Vada has arrived

Initially, I wasn't so sure about the idea prior to hiring her, but now I don't know what I'd do without her. It hasn't even been a week since we've been working together, and when she isn't around, it suddenly feels as though I've lost my right hand.

"In here!" I call out from the floor of my bedroom. I sit with my back leant against my bed, my laptop resting on my knees as I try and achieve the seemingly impossible.

"Still scouring the internet for the perfect gift I see," she smiles warmly, sitting down beside me on the floor.

"Yes," I answer, sighing heavily. "I mean, what do you get the man who has everything?"

"I don't envy you there," she answers, understanding the arduous conundrum that I've found myself in.

He really is so difficult to buy for. Not that I have trouble finding things he likes, but it's a matter of finding something meaningful enough to show how much I care for him. So far, his set of limited edition Callaway golf clubs sit unwrapped in my closet, along with his favourite cologne and the set of designer whisky glasses - his most recent alcoholic appreciation. Although I've gotten him things he likes, it doesn't feel enough, and from his recent bragging, I know that he's getting me something good.

"He hasn't shut up to me about how much I'm going to love his gifts," I groan. "I can't have him win at Christmas. I don't want to receive the most perfect gift ever, and then in return be like, oh, I hope you like these ordinary golf clubs."

"Well, in your defence, they were incredibly expensive clubs if you ask me. I almost died when I saw the price."

"It still wouldn't be enough. I can't say Merry Christmas with a set of golf clubs. I want to get him something sentimental, but also a gift that's personal."