Chapter 44: Banquet

How can I define my wedding banquet? Weird? Awkward? Crazy? It was all of these, and more. It was chaos.

Usually, women served drinks and brought the various dishes to the table, while men cut the meat and moved the heavy pots. Now the latter had to do both, and it wasn't easy. Ale and mead were spilled, and at least one tray toppled over in the confusion, to the greatest enjoyment of the guests.

Adding to the madness, a few warriors took upon themselves to attend to the need of the women sitting at their side with a flourish, bowing with large gestures to fill their goblets or put meat on their plates. They got in the servants way and a couple of them tripped trying to avoid getting hit.

I sat watching all this, wondering why I had been so worried while preparing all this. These people were like children, easily amused. They laughed and goaded each other loudly from one side of the room to the other. There seemed to be some gambling going on amongst the men regarding who was the best servant.

I sighed. At least they would remember this. I wasn't sure I wanted to.

After the ceremony and race, my husband had carried me over the threshold as was the custom, and I had toasted him. Then we sat, and mayhem started. It had been hours, and my head had begun to pound from the noise. I was full, the third course had been served, and Einarr had left my side to walk around the room and talk with the attendants. I stared at my plate in despair. A slice of what they called geirfugl waited to be eaten. I didn't care for it. It was greasy and made my stomach churn. The only thing I liked about this strange bird that couldn't fly was its down in my pillow. So I remained still, willing for the meat to disappear.

"Don't you like this? I'm certain the servants will bring you something else..."

It was Sigurd Godi, all smiles and apparently concerned for my welfare. He had been sitting on the other side of my husband and I hadn't had the occasion to chat with him.

"It seems delicious, my Lord, but I'm afraid I have overeaten." I rubbed my belly with a sweet smile. "I have little space left for food now."

"Of course. Are you settling in well? Our island is nothing like England..."

Something in his grin made me shiver. I chided myself. It must have been my imagination. "Well enough, thank you, my Lord. It is merely a little colder."

"You are too kind. We are lacking a lot of the comforts you have there. Have you known my friend long?"

I shook my head. "I met him last summer, and it was hardly a pleasure. At the time..." I hastily added. I wouldn't be caught belittling my husband on my wedding day. My headache was worsening and I struggled to focus.

"Really? I have been told that he had been visiting this area yearly for some time."

Visiting, what a strange choice of words. But we were speaking Anglisc and perhaps he didn't master the language fully.

"Aye, he had, for two years. Yet I did not have the opportunity to meet him afore that."

"I apologize, I had thought otherwise."

"There was no offense. How could you guess that my father didn't allow me to see him until his last visit? It sounds rather unusual." I groaned and brought my hands to my forehead, hot pokers shooting through it.

"Does it hurt? It must be the crown. My daughter said that she couldn't believe something so light could feel so heavy after hours wearing it. You have heard of my daughter, lady Sunngifu?"

I could barely speak, yet I had to. "Indeed, and I am so sorry for her untimely death. I am certain she was a wonderful wife..." I hoped he wouldn't notice the sarcasm. Fathers are often blind to the sins of their children.

"She certainly was, and you would be well inspired to follow in her steps. She was to become a mother, just like you..."

While I could understand the distress of a father, Sigurd Godi appeared to be not only blind, but deaf. How otherwise could he ignore the shameful behavior of his beloved daughter? Mayhap he didn't want to face the truth. And it wasn't my role to protest.

I was saved by the return of my husband.

"Sunngifu, it might be time for you to retire. Sigurd Godi, I have to steal my wife from you. She needs to prepare, and the child slows her down."

I didn't protest. I couldn't wait to return to the relative peace of our chamber. I hoped that two doors would be enough to dim the uproar.

As I sat on the bed, waiting for Mildred to come and help me, my new status dawned on me. I was a lady again, or as close I could be in this place. I had duties, responsibilities that I wasn't sure I could handle. Of course I had been trained since childhood to take care of a household, but my father's lands were nowhere near the size of Lord Einarr's. What if I made a mistake, miscalculated our resources? On this island, with such long and harsh winters, it could mean death. Lady Disaelfr would assist me, but she wasn't in her prime any more. She could get sick or die, leaving me on my own. And how was I going to cope when my child would be born?

I wrung my hands, tears pooling in my eyes. That's how Mildred found me when she came in.

"What is wrong Sunngifu? Or should I say 'my Lady'? Is it the bearn?" Her hands flew to my stomach, checking for signs of labor.

"Nay, my son is asleep. It is my head, it's pounding, can you take the crown off?" There was no point in telling her the truth. There was nothing she could do about it. Or maybe there was. "Will you help me, Mildred? Will you let me know if I did something wrong? I cannot bear the thought of bringing doom upon you all..."

She placed the crown on the bedside table and looked me straight in the eye. "Is that why you are so sad? You need to understand that we will all help you. No one would be fool enough to refuse you their assistance when our lives are at stake. All you have to do is ask."

I sniffled and nodded, completely overwhelmed. Then I fell apart, sobbing in relief.

Mildred hugged me and rubbed my back. "There, there, you are tired. All these emotions aren't good for the little one. They will soon come to put you to bed, and then you can rest. Let me get you ready."

She did so with her usual efficacy, telling me silly things to ease my mind, before placing the crown back on my head, without securing it. I felt much better by the time the guests entered the room.

Most of them were fairly drunk, swaying on their feet and braying thick jokes. I was slightly worried, until my husband slipped between the sheets. He wouldn't let any harm come to me.

He gave the crown to his mother, and didn't waste time in asking them all to leave, in a polite yet firm voice.

When the last of them left and the door closed on us, he took me in his arms. "Are you better? You seemed pale earlier."

"I had a headache and Sigurd Godi was questioning me. I fear he resents me for taking his daughter's place. Something didn't sound right."

His arms tightened around me. "He didn't say anything of the kind. I hope you are mistaken, my sweet wife."

This new endearment wasn't lost on me. "Am I no more your dreki?"

He chortled. "You are my sweet little dreki wife. Is that more to your liking?"

My fingers pinched his waist and I turned my back to him. "Not really. Good night, bear husband."