Nine

{edited}

May POV {college}

I swipe my credit card through the machine at the Starbucks on campus. The lady at the register says it will be a few minutes.

I wait beside the wall that they give the orders out, and look around.

I ordered an iced green tea.

I have an hour break from my classes before I move onto a different subject. I have a headache forming from all the lectures.

"May." The guys says. He slides me my drink and I smile a thank you.

I don't feel like waiting around campus, so I decide to go home for a bit and just relax.

***

I sip what's left of my drink and wait for the doors to open. I look to my side and see Harry waiting as well.

I don't know how I can do this for 4 years.

My insides burn and I feel like throwing up everything I ate today.

We both step into the elevator in silence.

Awkward silence that is. I want to say hi. I want to say I'm sorry. I want to say all of these things but I don't. I keep quiet.

The elevator door opens to his floor and I regret doing I'm going to do.

"Harry, wait." I step out of the small space. He stops in his tracks and turns around and faces me. His eyes are cold and I look away from his stare.

"What do you want?" He says coldly.

What do I want exactly?

"I uh," I pause.

"If you're just going to say sorry, I'm going to go."

"No," I say quickly. "I just don't want l-living in the same building to be awkward."

"Then move out." Harry spits. My heart drops. After that he walks away and I feel my eyes sting.

***

I see Adam is on the couch typing on his laptop. I sit beside him. "Class done already?"

"No, I have an hour until my next one." He nods. I look at him.

"What's wrong? Did you talk to Harry?"

"I tried." I mutter.

"How'd it go?"

"I just said I don't want it to be awkward living in the same building."

"What did he say?"

"Then move out." Adam releases a chuckle and shuts his laptop screen. I glare at my friend. "Do you expect me to tell you that it's okay to use my boyfriend as a way to break up with yours?"

"No-"

"May, just tell him that you lied. The hickey was from a curling iron, the boy was someone you were tutoring, and you didn't want to do the long distance."

"He'll think I'm coming up with excuses or lying about my fake cheating." I ramble.

"May you know I love you right?"

"Yeah." I mumble.

"But, I'm on his side on this." My heart pounds harshly against my chest. "If I was Harry I'd move out of Washington. And I would hate you too. You literally broke his heart. He's back to his old self just for the fact you didn't want to end the relationship but wanted out. So you took the easy way out and lied. You said he cried. Men don't cry that much. You made his ass sob." I look away from Adam. "You're my best friend May, but I'm not going to lie and say what you did is okay and everything will be okay. That's what Ronnie is for."

"I'm not saying that what I did was okay, Adam." I defend. "I thought in the moment what I did was easier for both of us. I'm fucking stupid, and you don't think I know that? You don't think I know that I ruined everything for myself?"

"And what are you going to do about it May? Sit in your room and play victim? If you are really sorry then go to his apartment and say what you did and how you fucked up."

"I'm scared." I admit. My voice low.

"Why? Has he hit or something?" My eyes widen.

"No!" I say. "I don't like when he yells. He turns into someone who I don't know. I just cause him pain, Adam. Why make it worse?"

"In his mind, the girl he loved cheated on him. The girl he never knew he could love cheated on him. The girl he ended up falling in love with cheated on him. After his first love died, he never knew he could feel that way again, but guess what you broke his heart. That's all he sees. You say you miss him. Well, you have 45 minutes to go say sorry."

"I don't even know what apartment number he is in."

"Well you have a while to go figure it out." I bite my lip.

How bad can this go?

A://N

Shitty chapter but eh

Comment ??

~lauren