Chapter 1 - Midnight Run

*No one's POV*
Unknown to everyone, not even Zayn, Lauren was a jogger. She did it for several reasons. It kept her fit of course. During those long jog's, always at night, she found herself able to think. Alone on the road, under the stars, it all became clear. Only her parents knew she was a regular jogger. Usually she jogged between 4-7 miles every time she went out. She always jogged late at night, only the stars to keep her company. She loved the lonely dark solitude of an evening run.

On this particular night she spotted it again. For the last several weeks as she jogged, she would occasionally spot what looked like a huge dog. Since she jogged at night and at one point through a park, it was hard to see. The animal would follow her, but always at a distance. She didn't see it all the time but when she did, it was never closer than about 40 yards.

The first few times she saw it, she would pull her scissors out of her fanny pack in case it attacked. It never did. She didn't see it every night, but often times it was there. She would spot it and after a while it would seemingly disappear. She would see it again later, a little further down her route.

On this night she planned to run longer, a full 10 miles. That route would take her through the heavily wooded park, which was near her home. It's said no sane person would jog through a dark park at night, but it could also be said that Lauren was no sane person. She always kept a pair of scissors in her fanny pack just in case. She had spotted her canine companion once around the 3rd mile. It followed her for about a half a mile before she lost sight of it.

*Trigger warning*

She had just past her 6th mile, when she jogged into Haverbrook Park. The park was dark and deserted. A few streetlights and lamps provided some dim illumination, along the trails. She kept going on her normal trail, past the tennis courts and into the woods. Lauren was not 40 yards on the trail that ran through the woods when something struck her in the chest.

"Ugg..." She said as she fell back onto the ground, the wind knocked out of her.

She suddenly heard laughter, as a something stepped out from behind a tree. As her eyes focused, Lauren could see the form of a large man. He was holding what appeared to be a large, heavy branch. Lauren guessed that is what, she had been hit with.

Lauren just had yanked her scissors from her fanny pack, when an arm grabbed her hand. Her scissors were pulled right out of her hands. That was followed by a swift kick to her side, sending an explosion of pain through her body.

"Told you, I saw her running though the park. All we had to do is wait." Said one mans voice.

"Sweet" Said a 2nd more gravelly voice.

The first man who was standing over her pulled a knife. "Play nice, little girl and this won't end up in your gut. Scream and it will end up in your throat."

"Hold her down" said the first man as she began to unbuckle his pants. Lauren suddenly was filled with terror as she realized what was going to happen. She tried to get up, but the 2nd man was holding her down by the shoulder. He was incredibly strong. Every time she struggled, he punched her.

The first man had dropped his pants and had just begun to pull down his underwear, when Lauren heard what sounded like a low snarling sound. An instant later, a big black shape jumped over her landing on top of the first man.

Lauren's eyes opened wide to see it was a huge dog, looking like the same one that followed her. Something in her mind told her it wasn't a dog, it was a wolf. It stood on man's chest and went directly for his throat, as he made a vain attempt to struggle. An instant later, the wolf savagely and very efficiently ripped out his throat. He made a horrible gurgling sound as his throat was torn from his body and devoured. Lauren cringed, as she could feel his blood splatter all over her legs.