Chapter 39-The Getaway

Message: Sammy
"Hey baby girl!  I have a surprise for you.  Meet me in downtown L.A.  Come alone and ditch the guard dogs."

A second later he messages her a address.  Camelia frowns and looks up from her phone.  Surprise?  How was she going to leave undetected.  It seemed so unlike Sammy to suggest she leave without protection.

He knew the risks. She decides to respond.

Message: Camelia
"You know I can't. I would be stopped once I set foot out of the house. Besides what's so important that I need to come alone?"

Camelia walks towards the large bay windows in the living room, not able to stop nervously ringing her hands as she paced back and forth and peers out of the distance until the sounds of another message comes through.

Message: Sammy
"Find somewhere private so we can talk. I'll call you in five minutes."

Panic surged through her. 

Something was not right. Sammy was not himself–It sounded so unlike him. Was he planning another outrageous surprise like he did at her bachelorette party? Since that day she's hated surprises.

She hesitated for a moment before striding out of the living room going towards the stairs, heading directly to her room. There she waited, perched on the edge of her bed, phone clasped tightly in her hands.

It rings. Although the call was expected she jumped in fright. Glancing at the screen she sees it's indeed Sammy.

"Sammy!" She answers with forced enthusiasm.

"Hello there little one. Remember me?"

Camelia sat in stunned silence for but a moment as the blood drains completely from her face and her mouth gaps open.

Nathan Diam.

Only this time his voice was not masked, speaking to her using her best friend's phone. It wasn't like the other time when he spoke in a menacingly evil and threatening way–it was in a lightweight tone and one of amusement.

"Don't hang up, my dear.  Or it will end in your friend's life."  His tone was casual but the underlying threat was in every single one of his words. 

She instantly froze. 

Sammy

No. 

He's holding Sammy hostage. 

Her mind tells her to drop the call and notify Stefan or Liam.  Liam was down in the study making some phone calls.   Stefan said he would stop by her house once he finished his meeting.  She glanced down at her watch, he wouldn't be done for another couple of hours.

A shiver raced down Camelia's back. 

Hang up.

"I won't hesitate to kill him."  He warns. 

Her fingers tighten around her phone as her body limps in frustration and despair.   She didn't know what to do.  She must help Sammy, but she had no idea how she was going to do it.