Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9 (FINISHED EDITING)

He took my hand a led him across the hallway. What was he doing? I wasn't allowed in his room. If I was caught I would be eliminated without a doubt. I started to resist but he squeezed my hand to relax.

He unlocked a door with an old fashioned brass key, which hung on a chain around his neck, and I was surprised to see just a pair of steps. He pulled me in and shut the door behind him. I followed him silently up the stairs with the only sound in the air was of me sniffing. He came to another door which he opened and I gasped when I looked around.

It was a square room but with a triangular ceiling like an attic room. One of the walls was covered head to toe in posters from old bands new bands, there were photos of everything with Xavier in nearly all of them. There were many signed CD's from artists I loved and I was especially jealous when I saw there was one on the wall signed by the one and only Michael Jackson.

All the other walls were an off white and one had a desk against it with a Macbook on it along with numerous cords and devices. Nearby there was guitar amps and leads. Music paper was scattered along the floor with lead pencil markings erased and re-written on. An old black grand piano was pushed into one covered and again that had sheet music piled all over it. There were sets of headphones lying around and beanbags messily placed on a large oriental carpet. I saw many leather bound journals with pages falling out.

"This place is incredible," I whispered, scared to disturb the vibe of it.

Xavier grinned, "This place is my oasis."

I walked around careful not to touch anything. I walked towards the piano and looked down on the chipped ivory keys which were well used.

"Who used this piano?"

Xavier smiled gently and stood next to me, "It was my mothers." He said simply.

I remember ages ago, before Xavier was known, news reports on Mr. Matthews's wife and how she had died. Her death was never clear though, some said a car accident, some said drug overdose while others went to the extreme of saying she committed suicide.

I didn't want to pry into Xavier's personal life though so I just asked, "What was her name?"

He smiled again, "Merielle."

I guess this was one thing Xavier and I had in common. We had both experienced a great loss, his mother and both of my parents, and we came to music to deal with ourselves. I looked at the photos on his wall and I saw a young boy who was a Xavier and a beautiful blonde haired woman with pale skin and classic beauty. She was smiling at the toddler with love and adoration clearly in her eyes.

"She was very beautiful," I say softly. He smiles at me then pushes me down to sit in his desk chair.

"Stop distracting me," he mutters then starts pacing up and down before walking to his piano and grabbed a bunch of sheet music. He handed me the music and saw it was Bonnie Raitt's song I Can't Make You Love Me.

He drags me to the piano and sits me down and he sits next to me.

"You have to sing this for me okay?"

I shake my head, "I can't perform in front of people, Xavier."

"You've sung in front of me before."

"Yeah, but I didn't know you were watching."

He shrugs, "Same thing. I know you can do it, Belle."

I raise an eyebrow, "Belle?"

Xavier grins, "Everyone calls you Annie so I'm going to call you Belle, from Annabelle."

I roll my eyes at him.