Chapter 9 - Don't Be Cruel

There were only a few weeks before school started and Douglas was coming home after his summer-long trip to France. Jess was in the kitchen with Annie wearing an apron and covered with flour. Annie was teaching her how to make an apple pie and she was trying to roll out the dough with a wooden rolling pin on the kitchen table.

As much as she enjoyed spending time with Annie, she couldn't help her thoughts drifting to the cabin, and to Marty. She felt terrible, imagining him sitting on the front step, waiting for her and wondering why she wasn't coming. She'd spent nearly every day of the summer with him, only staying home when it was raining, not because she didn't want to get wet, but because she didn't want anyone to become suspicious.

Today was hot and sunny, a perfect day to go swimming. And that's exactly what they'd be doing right now if it wasn't for the fact she had to stay home to greet Douglas when he arrived. She wondered if Douglas would behave any differently towards her when she saw him. Was he finally used to the fact that she was living in his home? Would he accept her as a regular part of the family now? It was a possibility, but she didn't hold out a lot of hope.

"Oh, my goodness! Oh, my goodness!" Annie exclaimed, and Jess looked up from the square-shaped pie dough that was refusing to become a circle. The big black car was traveling past the kitchen window. "They're here!" Annie said excitedly. "Take off your apron, Jess."

Jess suppressed a sigh as she wiped her hands on the apron and took it off. Leaving it on the table, she followed Annie through the butler's pantry and to the front door. Before they reached it, Uncle Jonathon was coming in followed by Douglas and then James, carrying suitcases. When Jess saw Douglas, she had to work very hard not to laugh. In spite of the heat, he was wearing a beret and a cotton scarf. He looked ridiculous.

"Welcome home, Doug!" Annie exclaimed, her eyes glowing.

"Hi, Annie," Douglas said with a smile, and then it dropped slightly as his eyes swept over Jess behind her.

"Did you have a good trip?"

"Oui, très bon. That means 'yes, very good'," he said importantly. Jess knew it was best not to roll her eyes, but she really wanted to.

"Oh, my goodness! Listen to you speak French!" Annie marveled, her hands clasped in front of her chest.

"I learned a little so I could speak to the natives," he said, obviously basking in the attention.

"That's swell, Doug!"

"I hate to go, but I'm needed at the office," Uncle Jonathon said, putting his hand on Douglas's shoulder.

"Wait, dad. I got you a present," Douglas said, and laid one of the smaller suitcases flat on the floor. Kneeling to undo the snaps, he rummaged through his clothes and pulled out a slim black box.

"Here," he said, standing and handing it to him. "I got this at one of those fancy designer shops in Paris." Uncle Jonathon lifted the lid and pulled out a navy blue tie scattered with small polka dots. "It's real silk," Doug explained. "I hope you like it."

"It's fine, son," Uncle Jonathon said, beaming. "Very fine, indeed. I'll wear it today."

"Swell! I got something for you too, Annie," he said, reaching back into the suitcase for another slim box, this one a pale grey.

"You didn't have to get me anything," Annie said, her voice hushed with surprise as she took it.

"I couldn't go to Paris and not get you something," he said kindly. She opened it and pulled out a scarf, saying, "Oh," softly with wonder.

"Look! It's got the Eiffel Tower on it!" he said excitedly, taking it from her so he could open it. Large single stemmed roses looked like they were being scattered over the city of Paris.