Chapter 49

Two days before Christmas, Emily walked into the Dragonfly Inn with two suitcases. She planned on staying for five days with the hopes of celebrating the holiday with her daughter and granddaughter. After finding peace, Emily had communicated with Lorelai nearly every day by email and with a phone call every weekend. She felt like she was making up for lost time and it was wonderful.

Even though she could have driven, Emily opted for a brief flight and rental car instead. She called Lorelai from the car, letting her know she was on her way. Lorelai told her she was at the inn for the afternoon.

Spying Michel at the reservation desk, Emily moved over to check in and get her room key.

"Hello Michel."

Looking up from the computer, a broad smile played at Michel's lips. "Hello Mrs. Gilmore. How wonderful that you're staying with us for a few days."

"Thank you. I'm looking forward to it. Have you seen Lorelai?"

"I believe she wandered back to the kitchen a little while ago. While most guests are not allowed back there, you're welcome to venture in to find her."

"Maybe I will once I get my bags up to my room."

"Don't you worry about that. I'll get Brandon to carry those up. You just run along to the kitchen. Sookie was making cookies earlier so you may be able to convince her you need to try one."

He can be so pleasant when he wants to be, Emily found herself thinking as she made her way to the back of the inn. It was no wonder why Lorelai wanted to keep him with the Dragonfly.

As she neared the kitchen door, she hesitated as she heard Lorelai talking. When she realized that she was the subject of the conversation, she leaned forward with the hope to hear what was being said.

"It's just that I feel a weight has been lifted. My mother has always been my mother in the biological sense of the word. She ensured that I felt family loyalty and obligation were two of the tenements of my childhood. But since my father's death, I have noticed a change in her."

"Death can do that," Sookie chimed in.

"I understand that. But my mom spent years being Richard Gilmore's wife. That's where she found her identity— and there isn't anything wrong with that— but now she is finding herself as Emily. I mean, after her last visit here, I felt like we really connected in a way that she and I never had before. I look forward to hearing from her now when, before, I avoided her calls whenever possible. It's like she—"

Emily lost her footing and fell into the swinging door. Lorelai clearly noticed by the abrupt way she ended her sentence. Unsure of what to do, her mind raced through the possibilities. Would Lorelai realize she had been eavesdropping and be upset? Should she just bound through the door and announce herself? As she weighed the options, she didn't consider that Lorelai would be walking toward her when that suddenly came to be as the door swung toward her, revealing her only child.

"Mom?"

Trying to hide her face, Emily tucked her head in, making a production of adjusting her heeled black pump. "Uh, Lorelai. I was coming to find you."

"Were you...listening?"

"Well, uh, no. I just lost my footing as I got to the door."

Emily faced Lorelai, who gave her a look that defied her explanation. "Mom, you have tears in your eyes."

Sniffling, more for effect that necessity, Emily relented. "Okay, fine. I was listening. I heard you talking and I held back when I realized I was the topic of your conversation."

"Are you mad?"

"Mad? No, certainly not. Wait— should I be mad?"

Lorelai smiled, leaning in to give Emily a hug. "No because this time I can honestly say I didn't say anything negative about you."

Emily chuckled. "Who would have thought it would take us this long to get along?"

Lorelai tilted her head to the side. "I think we have Dad to thank for that."

*****

Luke had something big planned for Lorelai's Christmas present. The idea came to him a couple weeks before but it took a little bit to get everything in place for it.

It was no secret that Lorelai was a huge fan of everything Christmas. It seemed as if each year, she began to decorate earlier than the year before. While he never really cared too much for any part of the holidays, he loved seeing the joy written all over his wife's beautiful features.

As he walked into their living room, Luke looked around and smiled as he spotted the little touches throughout. A seasonal floral arrangement graced the coffee table. Red votive candles filled tiny glass jars around the mantle. Stockings— which had seen better days— were hung near the stairs. Every corner held something that reminded him this year, Christmas was unlike any other. That is why he was so excited for Christmas morning to arrive.

The plan was that Logan, Rory, and Emily would come over for breakfast then they would move to opening presents. Luke could not wait to see Lorelai's face when she opened his gift, one that she never would expect coming from him.

Christmas couldn't get here fast enough.