01 [ 01 ]

☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going to die.

The thought crosses my mind for the millionth time.

At this point, I would pick death in a heartbeat over staying like this.

I never knew what would come next. Some days, it was being pricked over and over by needles, other days were blood transfusions and various other tests.

The one thing I knew was, nothing ever good happens within these walls.

"Just let me go!" My screams echoed through the dark hallway.

I struggled against my confines, trying to break free from the cold leather straps that bound me to the wall.

The leather bit into my skin, making my wrists burn, which I ignore.

I knew it wouldn't work, but it was better than doing nothing.

"No." I shook my head, cowering back in fear as I saw a dark figure approach me.

"Get the hell away from me!" I thrashed my arms and legs around violently,

"No!" I managed to scream one last time before he plunges a large needle into the tender skin on the side of my neck, sending a sharp pain coursing through my neck.

***

I laid in my bed, drenched in cold sweat and breathing hard, instantly wide awake in a matter of seconds.

The sound of footsteps against the wooden floor has me instinctively inching my fingers until they came into contact with the cold metal butt of my gun that I had, tucked under my pillow.

I could hear the footsteps getting louder as the intruder continued to approach me and finally they stop at the edge of my bed.

I shot up in my bed immediately, pointing my gun at the intruder.

"One more move and I'll blow your head off," I warned.

The sight of the intruder has me shocked, but mostly worried about what kind of news follows. It was a face I haven't seen in years. One that I've never associated with any good news.

"What do you want, Fury?" I demanded.

"It's good to see you too, Artemis." He greets with a smile.

I couldn't help but scowl at the mention of that name, "Don't call me that."

"Fine. Agent Romanoff, I hope you know I wouldn't be here, risking your cover if it wasn't something important." He says, tucking his hands behind his back.

"How did you find me?" I question.

"It's not that hard as long as you pay attention. 'It's all about the details.' That's what you always say, isn't it?" Fury shrugs, "I know you better than you realise, Agent Romanoff."

"Whatever it is you're here for, I don't want to have anything to do with it." I say, "Now, leave."

"Agent Romanoff, please. The world is in danger."