Chapter 17

"Why aren't you talkin to Scar?" Maggie asked sweetly and Daryl scoffed. "What's it to ya?!?" He snapped back. "Because she can be nosy." I stated from inside the bus and Maggie glared at me. She climbed down and grabbed my wrist, pushing me up on top of the seats. Reluctantly, I climbed through the emergency exit and sat on the edge. I glanced at Daryl and then down at my hands. "Why are you up here alone?" I asked softly. "Need some damn peace and quiet." He growled. "If you don't want me here, say it." I stated and waited for his response. "I don't need no woman watchin out for me." He growled and glanced at me with his blue eyes. "And I don't need no man watching out for me." I said softly and slowly made my way down the exit hatch into the interior of the bus. A part of me hurt, but I shook it away. "Scar?" I passed her and she followed me as we went back near the fire. I laid with my back against the fire as sleep consumed me.

"You're just a useless brat!" Leona shouted at me, but I just watched her. "Can you hear me, bitch? I'm talking to you!" She shoved me against the wall and I pushed her off. "Fuck off, Leona." I said calmly, as Ryan and Melinda watched. This was another one of their test to try and break me. Suddenly, the room went dark and I saw a girl about my height walk forward. Her blonde hair flowed past her shoulders and her eyes were hazel, she smiled at me and my breath quickened. "You're not real, you're dead." Her eyes turned silver and her pale skin became grey and ripped, two huge bite marks were imprinted on her neck. "Look what you did, sister. Look at the pain you caused. What have you done?!?!?" She slowly moved towards me and I couldn't move, she came closer and was about to bite into my neck....

I jolted awake and pressed myself against the wall, calming my quickening heartbeat. "You okay?" Beth asked, watching me. I nodded and wiped the sweat from my forehead. Maggie watched me carefully and then moved to sit next to me, I leaned my head on her shoulder and listened to her steady breathing, matching mine with hers.

Rick took me, Maggie, Glenn, Daryl, and T-dog into the prison while the other stayed and attracted a small group of walkers to the fence, killing them. We moved together in a formation, using our quiet weapons to kill walkers. I sliced the axe I had found through a walker's skull and watched it fall lifeless. When we turned a corner, Rick pinned himself back to the wall and ordered us to do the same. A horde of walkers, some armored with face mask and some not. We easily picked off the unarmed ones and Maggie found a way to kill the armed ones.

We trapped some of the walkers behind a fence that lead into the prison and made sure the area was clear. "This area looks clear." Glenn said, coming back to the group. "Except for the fact that's a civilian." Daryl pointed out. We all looked to see a walker with a stained dress behind the fence. "So it could be overrun from outside of the prison." T-dog said, still looking at the walker. "We can't just repair a part of the fence if it's down." Glenn said. "We'll just have to push in then." Rick said and motioned to a staircase that would lead to a cell block. We moved towards the second floor and when we walked through the doors, we were met with the bodies of guards and prisoners with their brains blown out. "Damn."

We continued to move slowly just in case, making our way through the cell block. I heard the familiar groaning and turned to see walkers sticking their hands through the bars, trying to reach us. I struck one on the head with my axe and Glenn shoved the sharpened pole he had into the others head. "Guess these two were left behind." I said to Glenn and he nodded. "Place seems clear here, we can stay here for the night, move these bodies to the courtyard and burn them with the others." Rick said, before taking Glenn and Maggie to gather the group. I used the keys that Rick had gathered from a office and unlocked some of the locked cells. I walked into the one that had contained one of the walkers and saw he had a sliver chain around his neck. I brought my axe to his head just in case and then lifted the chain from around his contorted face. Unclasping the clasp, I slipped May's ring onto the chain and hooked the chain around my neck. I turned and saw the rest of the group file in and take in their surroundings. "Home sweet home." Glenn said cheerfully. He quickly moved into one of the cells and claimed it as his own, the others doing the same. I merely watched, letting them pick theirs first since I barely slept.

"So we're sleeping in cells?" Beth asked hesitantly. "I ain't sleeping in no cage, I'll take the perch." Daryl huffed and moved up the stairs towards the watchtower. I joined T-dog in moving the bodies out to the courtyard, while the others got right to work. "Nothing like the smell of death in the morning." I groaned as I pulled another bodies towards the pile, wiping the sweat from my forehead. T-dog chuckled and looked up at Daryl, who was watching us from the watchtower. "It seems we have a stalker." I saw Daryl, but quickly pulled another body towards the pile. "Do you think things will ever go back to normal?" I asked as he lit the bodies. "Even if it did, I don't think we would be normal." I watched the little flame work its way over the bodies. "I guess so." We stood there watching the flames climb over the walkers, scorching their bodies, before returning to the cell block.