7 | need someone to help you out of that?

7|

7|

need someone to help you out of that?

MY HEART BEATS loudly in my chest, making it impossible to focus on anything else besides the rabid rhythm reverberating through my ears.

I'm not aware of how much time passes; the time seems to be completely frozen in my mind as I stare at my mother looking at us with a slightly confused expression. That is until Brad takes a quick step away from me, not wasting a single second to get to her side almost in the opposite corner of the room.

"Nothing at all, babe." Brad says softly as he touches her chin and tilts it up to get a direct look at her face," I just had a friendly father-daughter bonding moment with Aspen."

"Oh."

"You're home early." he says, the corners of his mouth curling up into a warm smile, knowing damn well what he's doing. I can see why my mother enjoys to be in his company so much; he's handsome, in his late twenties and if I didn't know any better I'd have most likely fallen for his sweet smiles, too.

"I finished my work so there wasn't really a point in staying there for much longer," she repays him with an equally wide smile, locking her fragile arms around his waist as she leans into him. It's hard to believe this is the same woman that had an episode few days ago.

The nauseating feeling swirling my insides only intensifies when Brad leans forward, placing his lips on hers as he backs her against the kitchen wall.

I immediately turn away, slipping past them to run up the stairs as fast as possible. Because as sad as it is, I know I don't stand a chance in my mother's eyes when Brad is around. He has her wrapped around his finger too tightly for her to see what is really going on.

Deciding to not delve any further on it, I open and close the door to my room swiftly before collapsing against the door frame, depleted. I let my ass touch the ground, and rest my head against the wooden surface, closing my eyes momentarily before I hear my bed creak.

Snapping my eyes open instantly, I whip my head in the direction, only to see Sarah laying on her stomach with her hands tucked under her chin, watching me curiously.

My first instinct is to straighten up, covering any signs of vulnerability prominent on my face. I know she's my sister but that doesn't mean she has to see me like this.

"Brad seems to be in a shitty mood today," she points out, making my heart swell with happiness for hearing her voice again.

Texts. That has been the only form of communication between the two of us in more than three weeks.

But the warm feeling doesn't linger for long. I can't help but narrow my eyes suspiciously at her, wondering why she's suddenly here. "Yeah." I manage to push out, my voice coming out as a whisper.