Chapter 8 - Smash and Grab

*No One's POV*

Lauren's eyes suddenly bugged out of their head. "WHAT! You mean that was a vampire? How did you know? You didn't even see him."

Camila touched the side of her nose as she pulled out her phone. "If one of us is about 60 feet of a vampire, we'll smell it."

Lauren looked out onto the dark parking lot to see if the vampire was still there; he wasn't.

"What do they smell like?"

Camila started to dial her phone. "Death"

Lauren was blown away. "Holy fuck. Who are you calling?"

"My mom, I need to report this."

Camila spoke her mom on the phone for a few minutes, describing the exact encounter. Then she handed the phone to Lauren.

"She wants you to describe it. None of us have seen it."

Lauren took the phone. "Hello"

"Hi Lauren are you ok" Asked Camila's mom.

"I'm fine, just a bit freaked out."

"Your very safe in a public restaurant, were going to send some of our people out to look for it. But could you describe it."

Lauren thought for a moment. "Caucasian, Appears to be in mid 20's, about 6 feet, maybe 180 pounds, moderate build, short sandy brown hair. He had a round face with a roman type nose. He was wearing LAPD police uniform with a side arm. Is that enough?"

"Yes, that's a very good description. Thank you. Could you put Camila back on please."

Lauren handed the phone to Camila who spoke to her mom for a few more minutes, then hung up.

"So what was the deal with the uniform? What was he trying to do?" Lauren said as Camila hung up the phone.

Camila took a deep breath. "First she said the safest thing we could do is just sit and eat our dinner. It will probably, hunt somewhere else tonight. But she said it probably picked your car as it was parked near the diner but off on a side street. It was trying to lure you out. The uniform was to put you at ease. You would think you were safe with a cop, so you're guard would be down. Only he wasn't a cop at all. You're car is probably just the way you left it. My mom said, he probably had no idea of the occupants heritage."

"No fucking way."

"My mom says, they are very cunning and clever. They are not above using deception and trickery to lure their victims to their doom. My mom told me a story about one our people destroyed in Chicago about 20 years ago. He had both a Fedex and a UPS Truck in his lair. He also had proper UPS and Fedex uniforms. That's how he got invited into people's houses. But he made the mistake one night of picking a house, which had a family of werewolves living in it. They could smell him before he even knocked on the door."

Lauren laughed. "I'll bet he was surprised."

Camila took a sip of her coffee, "Speaking of werewolf families, did you have any idea?"

Shaking her head. "No, not at all. I barely even remember my dad's mom, she died of cancer when I was 6. I never met any of the other members of her family. My dad doesn't speak of them very often. I don't think he hated them, they just weren't very close."

Camila thought for a moment. "It's just a bit odd that we've never heard of your family. Anti-social werewolves are not unheard of, but their not all that common either."

Lauren took a drink of her coffee. "I don't think I'll say anything to my dad, he probably doesn't know anything, but there is some old trunks and boxes in the basement. I'll look through them and maybe I'll find something."