71. You're All Grown Up/Dropping You Off At College - Michael

Part 4/4

...
Requested by:
anonymous
...

I'm in the caaaaaar

Next chapter is: "You Have Cancer"

Michael:  
"Are you done yet?" You looked up from your phone and up where your brother was sifting through the back of the moving van.

"One more time," Michael stuck his head out from behind a stack of boxes for only a moment before crouching back and rummaging through.

"Ughhhhh," a loud thump was heard as Calum hit his head against the back of the trailer.

"This is your fifth time," Ashton groaned. He was perched on a stool that he had dragged out of the house on Michael's third time through the truck.

"Honestly, Y/N is only moving like forty-five minutes away, she can come back if she left anything," Luke stuck his head out of the passengers seat. You were a little surprised since you had assumed that he was taking a nap.

"I will personally drive it up to her," Calum corroborated, "let's just go NOW!"

"Please Michael, this is ridiculous, it's been two hours," you climbed up into the trailer, "what are you even doing back here?"

"Organizing, double-checking, I just- I just," he said frantically, moving through the narrow spaces between your boxes of stuff.

You see, you were finally getting ready to move out. You had a nice job, it didn't pay great, but it was enough for a modest apartment and your used car. You were just ready to grow up. You had been living with Michael all the way through high school and college, which was fine, but you needed to make your own way, and this was step one. Your brother on the other hand, was suffering empty-nest syndrome. You'd think a man in his twenties would be happy when his little sister finally got out of his hair, but not your brother. Michael had not at all been looking forward to you leaving. He was convinced that you'd be injured, starving, or otherwise negatively impacted by living alone. You almost wondered if those were his own fears he was projecting, but you didn't say that to him.

"Not double checking," Ashton began to correct him, "this is your fifth time through."

"What is that? Penta-checking?" You called out from still inside the trailer.

"That doesn't really sound right, but I also have no idea soooo," you could hear the shrug in Luke's voice.

"PLEASE?" Calum screeched, clearly fed up.

"Yeah, we can go," you grabbed Michael, who was rifling through your socks and mumbling about needing at least fifteen matching pairs.

"NO! I'M NOT DONE!" He cried, trying to grab a box but only succeeding in toppling it over.

"Yes you are, I'll be fine Michael," you jumped down and motioned for him to do the same.

"But-" he looked back longingly.

"PLEASE?!" Calum screamed again.

"Fine," he grumbled, climbing down so you could pull the handle, shutting and latching the back of the trailer securely.

"Oh thank God," Calum sighed in relief as he was tossed the keys to the moving van. The plan was for him and Luke to drive your stuff down in the trailer, while you, Michael, and Ashton would stop and get groceries on the way there. That way you'd have a fully-stocked apartment ready for you by the end of the day.