Chapter 5: The Deer and The Doe

CASSIDY'S P.O.V.

I felt extra cheery as I walked back to the Common Room, happily humming the song to myself. I dumped my winter clothes on the floor by my bed and flopped onto the mattress. It was then that I saw Hermione smiling at me from the door.

"What are you so happy about?" she asked. I just smiled and waved my hand at her. She smirked and pointed downstairs. 

"Harry's down there," she continued. "Whatever happened, I'll find out."

"I'm kinda hoping you do," I replied.

She disappeared through the door, determination sparkling in her eyes. I heard the boys' dormitory door creak open and slam shut as another pair of footsteps started descending the stairs, probably Ron's. I got up from my bed, pressed my ear against the door, and listened in to the conversation that was unfolding.

"I just saw Cassidy come through," says Hermione smugly. "She seemed extra cheery since last I saw her."

"Yeah," says Ron. "She seemed to be humming some sort of song. What was it again, Hermione?" 

"It's what I call Cassidy's Happy Song," she replies. "She made me listen to it one day. It's a very beautiful song. What I don't get is why she was humming it. She only hums it or sings it when she's really really happy."

"Maybe you can explain that, mate?" asks Ron.

"Tell us everything, Harry!" Hermione cries. "Don't leave out a single detail!"

I listened to him go through every little detail about everything that happened. I was quite impressed. He didn't leave a single thing out.

"Hermione," he says, "you're the smart one. Do you have any idea what I was feeling when our hands touched?"

"Hmm," she says. "Let me ponder this for a brief moment."

Everything becomes quiet for a second, and then I hear her snap her fingers.

"Oh, Harry!" she laughs. "Isn't it obvious? You're falling in love with her!"

"No," he replies. "I don't think I'm falling in love with her."

My heart began to race. But, then I hear him say, "I think...I think I'm already there."

My eyes grew big and so did my smile.

"So, she wants you to meet her tomorrow?" Ron asks.

"I can't believe she's going to teach you how to make a Patronus!" says Hermione excitedly. "You're so lucky!"

"I don't think luck had anything to do with it," he says. I could tell he had a smile on his face when he said that. Hermione laughs again.

"Just know one thing, Harry," she says quickly. "If you break her heart, I will kill you! I'm not kidding!"

"Take it easy, Hermione!" says Harry hastily. "I'd never hurt her in any way. I can promise you that!"

I placed a hand to my heart and flopped back onto my bed just as I heard the footsteps coming back up the stairs.

I closed my eyes just as the door opened, pretending to be asleep. I heard Hermione sigh as she sat back down on her bed.

"You have no idea how lucky you are, Cass," said Hermione. "At long last, you finally know someone you can trust with your story more than me."

I tried to ignore that last part, knowing I'd have to reveal my past to Harry the next day. I was desperately hoping and praying he wouldn't freak out about it. He was the only one I could trust right now.